Chances Lost

Chapter Four

For the first time in my life, I woke up that summer morning feeling relived. I felt that I could push away all thoughts of Bonnet, and not have to worry about my sister's well-being. I held him to his promise, and there was no doubt in my mind that we were finally seeing eye to eye after all those years of knowing him as a bad man. I didn't like him anymore than I did before, but now, I trusted him to a certain extent and that took the burden of concern from my shoulders.

The bright morning light shined through the open windows of my bedroom as my manservant, Claude, pulled back the curtains. I could sense the brightness behind my eyelids, and I blinked my eyes several times to grow used to the illumination. He turned to me, and silently nodded. I smiled back at him, and stretched my arms about my head.

"Did you sleep well, sir?" he asked politely.

"Yes I did, thank you," I answered him. "It seems to be a lovely day outside, regarding the brilliance of light seeping in."

"It is, sir." He turned to the polished Chestnut armoire that stood at an angle in the far corner of the bedroom. He pulled open one of the drawers, and began removing garments for me to wear.

"Claude?" I asked him, feeling jovial and enlightened.

"Yes, Mister von Briggson?"

"I really think that..." I trailed off.

"What is it that you need sir?" he asked, lacking any inquisitiveness.

I was going to tell him that he shouldn't call me "sir." There was no point to formality between friends, and after so many years of his service, I felt that that was what we were.

Instead, I went on, "Claude, could you pick the crimson morning suit with the gold brocade and pearl buttons for this morning, I am going to visit Miss Abendroth." And I want to look the part of an Italian Casanova, I considered adding.

"Of course, sir."

"Claude?" I asked the older man with the graying beard, and the thinning hair line of brown. The manservant had a hard stare and his mouth was often set, but he was goodhearted and always treated me with the upmost respect. He was dressed in a simple frock of worn leather and plain linen, but this didn't take away from his staid behavior and civility.

"Sir?" Claude began pulling back the various sheets and duvets from my bed, and setting out my outfit, underclothes and shoes.

"Do you know the new woman working in the house? She's young with brown hair and hazel eyes. The woman is called Carmen, and she is thorough and meticulous in her chores."

"No, I do not believe I've met her, sir."

"Never mind then. She serves my sister anyways, and I have nothing really to do with her."

"Mister von Briggson," he hesitated. "May I be frank with you, sir?"

My heart began to race and I felt uneasy and slightly anxious. I couldn't really tell why, but I felt as though what he was about to tell me would bring me discomfort. My smiling lips bowed into a fretful scowl.

"Yes," I answered him cautiously, the apprehension in my mind mounting. "What is it that you must be forthright about?"

"I have found it hard to serve your often guest, Mr. Bonnet-I believe it is."

I set back my shoulders and swallowed. "To be truthful with you, Claude, I do not like Mr. Hastings Bonnet myself. But-my sister does, and I have to trust him."

Claude's serious eyes were watery and dark and his stare was solemn. He had always been a man of few words, but I felt his gestures were legendary. He gave one somber nod and stalked from the room. I let out a long, exasperated breath and sunk onto the sleigh divan near my bed, wrinkling the crisp and clean clothing laid there.