NEX (or, the Warrior Named for Death)

Start from the beginning

      Cacos’ club flew upward to the stranger’s face to be caught again but this time the back of the stranger’s other hand struck out, viper-quick, and sent the youth sprawling several feet away. It happened so quickly that before Xeno realized what had happened, the boys were already running down the beach, two of them supporting Cacos between them. 

      “You all right, boy?” the stranger said, hooking a surprisingly gentle hand in the pit of Xeno’s arm to help him up. The young boy wavered slightly but stayed up, turned his head sideways to look up at the man before him with one eye. He was indeed a giant, but not in a frightening sense, not like the Cyclops he had heard tell of around the hearth fires. No, this man was different. He was tall and thickly built, the muscles of his bulk an echo of the statue of Herakles in the sanctuary. He had long black hair like Xeno’s which was tied back with a braided leather thong that ran to the middle of his back. His arms were criss-crossed with old scars. Beyond him, on the ground several paces away, Xeno noticed a pack to which were tied a leather breastplate, boar’s tusk helmet and a sheathed sword. “Don’t be afraid, little man.” The stranger smiled. “I won’t hurt you.” 

      The stranger went back to gather his belongings and returned to sit on the pebbles near Xeno. He reached into his bag, pulled out a small loaf of coarse bread, tore it and tossed a piece to Xeno who fumbled with it momentarily.

      “Wh…who…are you?”

      “My name is Nex. You?”

      “I’m Xeno. I live nearby.”

      “So I take it. Those boys always bother you like that?”

      “Pretty much.” Xeno tucked into his piece of bread and Nex smiled. “Though, lately I have been getting pretty good at avoiding them.”

      “Not today though.” Nex put out a hand to get a better look at Xeno’s bruised eye. 

      “No, not today.” Xeno hung his head.

      “Don’t worry, lad. Your eye won’t die of this. Just splash some sea water on it a few times. You’ll be good as new in a few days.” He smiled. “You took quite a beating and fared well. I can teach you a few moves that will help if they ever come around again.”

      “Really?”

      “Truly. But let’s wait till you can see better.” He ruffled Xeno’s hair.

      As he ate more of his bread, Xeno’s eyes found the sword and armour on the other side of Nex. He had heard stories but had never seen such things up close.

      “Are you a warrior?”

      Nex suddenly stopped chewing, seriousness clouding his face. “Yes. I am. Does that frighten you?”

      “No. Should it?”

      “Sometimes. Other men, warriors, would have killed those boys just now, and perhaps hurt you.”

      “But you didn’t. Why?

      “No. I didn’t. I’m not like that. Those boys just needed a lesson and really, it wasn’t my fight…until that mouthy one tried to club me.” Nex thought for a moment. “Are there no warriors in your village?”

      “Not really, although Cacos’ father, Timon, the horse trader, has a few Spears that ride with him.” 

      “I see.”

      “Have you been in many battles?” Xeno was excited now, on his knees looking keenly at Nex with his good eye.

      Nex smiled, although with a hint of sadness.