First Stage - Denial

It was Columbus Day, maybe, thought Gina Nolan. She had a headache.

She had been watching the viewer for a while. All sorts of awful news was coming from Earth. She hadn't been able to turn the damned thing off.

Obsessive, yeah, I'm getting obsessive, she thought. Michael is going to laugh at me for being so ridiculous.

She patted her belly once. "I'm getting obsessive," she said out loud. "Whaddaya think of your old mother becoming obsessive?"

The fetus did not answer, not even with a kick. She was about three months along, still getting morning sickness, still feeling wretched. And now there was more to feel wretched about.

She turned away from the viewer, finally, and was about ready to go out and get a little fresh - well, fresher - air when she saw the shuttle land. Right on the front lawn, right on the tree she and Michael had planted. Stupid pilot.

She went outside to complain and saw their uniforms. "Oh, God."

"Ma'am?" asked one of them, possibly the pilot, as she got out of the shuttle, "Are you Mrs. Michael Nolan?" She wore the uniform of a soldier.

"Will you go away if I say no?"

"Mrs. Nolan," said the other one, a man, but it was charitable to call him a man, for he was clean-shaven and short and could've easily passed for twelve, "we are very sorry to inform you ..."

"Don't inform me of anything!" She ran back into the house.

There was a chime. Then there was knocking. They weren't going away.

Tentatively, she opened the door. "Why aren't you going away?"

"You know why, Mrs. Nolan. We are very sorry to inform you of the death of your husband, Michael Nolan, on October the tenth of 2375," the fellow read off his PADD.

"Mrs. Nolan, we are authorized to inform you that there will be a memorial service in three weeks, on Andoria," said the female soldier, "I can send the information to your PADD."

"Oh," Gina said quietly. She just stood there and shook. "Uh, yes, send it. Please, uh, please go away."

"Ma'am ...."

"I said go away!"

They left, and Gina patted her belly again. "Pack your bags. We're going to Andoria."

The response was a small kick.