Chapter Twenty Nine: Outflanking the Everywhere

"Benny?" Crank just about loses her marbles seeing her guy wandering up the gravel path, rubbing his hands together.

Benny double times his step, sees Thurman playing keep up. "Hey, kid, give me a minute with the mechanic, okay? Run ahead and tell Roy to gather whoever's left on this side for a powwow."

Thurman chops off a resounding salute. "Sir, yes sir!" He marches off to victory.

Benny slows to a stop, watching Thurman go as Crank runs up. Stopping is good, for his leg is throbbing again.

"Vecchio! Your leg! You hurt the same--"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah! Cone here, you!" He takes his gal by the hand and pulls her into the fort's horseshoe enclave, the interior to enter the many barred fates and doors to the gun platforms, communications offices, etc. They dodge those establishments and cross the grassy field for the other side of the horseshoe, the darkened hall leading to the latrines. The smell needs work, it obviously saw battle, but privacy is king here.

"Benny, I--"

Crank loses more than words. The Brown Bear ignores his pains, picking the little lady up off the ground, putting her back to the wall. Wasting no time, he plants one on her. A big, deep, abiding kiss, mouth open, as forceful and manly as it is soothing. Crank stares a second, then softens. She goes limp, boots pointing down, fingers dangling. She allows her mouth to open, lets Benny steal her breath, lick her front teeth. Crank lets in happen for an eternity, and then, her legs wrap about her man. She turns her tongue into a spear, jabbing into Benny, making his gums and face flush with heat. He rocks back as she pushes in.

Inside her big boots, Crank's toes curl up tight. Then...

"Okay, baby. Okay! We gotta stop. I'm..."

He lowers her to the ground. Benny straightens his jacket and hair. "Right right. You're a good Catholic girl. Gotta remember. Those massages were swell, but, I'm not tryin' to shame Signore Musa's pride and joy!" He steps back, hunches over, pushes down pain and the powerful drive within to go all the way.

"Si, marriage before the big one, Big Guy." She zips up her ST jacket to hide the chest she thinks is exposed, and stands with her knees bent in, hair over her bright face. "Heh, least I'm warm now, huh?"

"Yeah, kid. me too. I, uh, thought about you the whole campaign. Was afraid, a lot of times that I wouldn't..."

She places a finger to his lips. "Best not to say it out loud, yeah?" She plants a small kiss on his chin, then brings in the embrace. "I'm so glad you're safe."

"Thanks."

Just as fast, she pulls away, and slaps his chest. "What? you think I didn't notice the leg is still bleeding? Come on, Vecchio! You should have it bandaged up right before you see me!"

Benny flinches. Kid's got a good hard palm. "Are you kidding me right now? We're at death's door every minute, and you play hot and cold? Give a guy a break, Crank! I'm busting my behind up there--"

The lady crosses her arms after brushing back some of her shadowy hair. "Benny..."

"We had Slicks literally on top of us--"

"Benny." The back arches. a foot taps on the ground. Crank pokes out her lips, squints her eyes.

"I missed you. S'that a crime?"

"Yes! It's a crime to not take care of your health first! the guys need you! Salem needs you! I need you! I need you alive and with a brain that works!" She gets to storming off.

"But, what about the kiss?"

"That was amazing, but it's no excuse! March!" She's at full gallop now.