Ch. 32

I am still flustered about the comments Truex made on the plane, well maybe not his comments so much, but the fact that he thinks the situation is funny. That stupid smirk on his face tells me he finds my reaction amusing. We walk through the terminals following the groups of passengers to the baggage area. On the way he stops at book store, I wait not thinking anything of his sudden interest in buying a new book. My eyes narrow as I see just what reading material he's set on finding, he walks over to a shelving display of baby books. He picks up What to expect when you're expecting and a book of baby names. I glare at him but don't say anything as he carries them to the counter to pay. He will not get a reaction from me, that's exactly what he wants. I cannot give him the satisfaction. As he joins me once again, I tap my foot while silently reminding myself to stay calm.

"Ready?" He asks, nonchalantly.

    I nod, taking a deep breath. We continue our walk, but only get about three feet from the shop before my hand grabs the white bag of books he just bought. Yanking it from his fingers, I flinging it low towards the wall close to us. I keep walking ignoring his chuckle. He catches up to me with the white bag back in his grasp and I wait by the baggage carousel.

"Stop sulking." He orders, drawing me close to him.

"Stop teasing me and I'll think about it." I respond, irritated.

"Alright. I'll stop." He says, sounding honest.

"Throw away those books." I order, crossing my arms.

He shakes his head no and leans down to put them on his carry on bag. I roll my eyes but don't say anything else about it. "What's the plan?" I ask, trying to put myself in a better mood.

He straights back up and glances at me. "We're going to rent a car and get a hotel room near your moms place. Then I figured we'd pick her up for dinner and tell her everything." He replies, watching for our luggage as the belt starts to move.

My stomach clenches at the thought of talking to my mom about us. She has never approved of anything I've done. Today wont be any different, I'm sure of it. She works part time but only mornings, she'd be home by now. "I'll call her after we get the car." I nod, agreeing with his plan. As much as I dread her disapproving and snarky remarks, it feels different having Truex with me. I'm not sure I care about her opinion on the subject, and if she wants to get mean about it, at least I have him there as a buffer.

    Once we get the truck from the rental place and head towards my mothers apartment, I call her. She answers on the third ring. "Hello?"

"Hey, mom. Its me. I'm in town and thought maybe we could go to dinner." I say, nervously.

There's a pause. "What are you here for? You're not moving back in are you?" She asks, not happy with the thought but resigned to it. She always said I'd be back eventually.

"No, I'm not moving back. I'm just here to visit and introduce you to someone." I explain.

"Someone?" She asks, but I ignore the question in her voice.

"Yep. So, dinner? We can pick you up around 5?"

"Alright.'' She answers. I can tell she is suspicious and slightly annoyed that her night is going to be spent with me and my, someone. I end the call and turn to Truex who is concentrating on driving.

"Well, dinner is on." I state, simply.

"Good." He remarks, merging onto the expressway.

"Want me to drive?" I ask, knowing where we are going. More so then he does.