There's Still More to See

Oh, hello. You must be the student mom was talking about. Aleph, right? You came just in time. I was just about to make my rounds. You can join me if you'd like.

I can see confusion painting your face as you stared at me like a deer caught in the headlights - which, I guess, isn't really far from the truth since you ARE standing right outside my gate, probably wondering if you're in the right place, and whether or not you should knock. Been there, done that, anxiety knows best.

I'm Alice, I say. The landlady's daughter. Letticia Reyes, remember?

You blink as if realization just dawned on you, and I hold back a chuckle. I didn't want to scare a new blood, after all, though with the way you fidget and how you keep on looking down at your black and white converse (and how you were swinging your left foot against asphalt), I can pretty much guess I failed at that. Still, I let a smile touch my lips as I reached you.

Would you like to see the place first? I can give you a grand tour.

You give me a small nod as your hand tightly gripped the strap of your brown backpack, your eyes looking everywhere but at me.

And I guess it's fine.

After all, living in a new place is really scary - most especially if you're alone. Which I also pretty much guessed you were. Freshies usually have it hard when they enter college.

...

The cool wind brushes against my skin and I couldn't help the curve that forms its way to my lips as I feel the sun kissing my skin.

There's not much to see here, I say, hoping against all hope that it was loud enough for you to hear, considering that you were a few steps behind me. But if you're the kind of person who wants peace and quiet, this is the perfect place to be.

We live in the quieter part of the village - more nature, less houses, but also all with good people. Our area is a like a compound of some sorts and -

"Alice!" I heard a voice call, cutting me off mid-sentence. I turned around in the same time that you did and we both saw Mang Kanor. He's seventy in age but with the way he was walking his dog, no one would think he was over fifty.

"Nakasta nga mataruk kanikaw, Mang Kanor. Sa 'yo din, Kali," I greeted. Mang Kanor grinned at me as if what I said made him happy.

"Nakasta pay nga mataruk, Alice," he said, with Kali barking happily beside him. "Good morning din sa kasama mo."

You mumble a soft good morning as your eyes stared at Kali.

You can pet him, you know. I tell you. Kali may seem like a big dog but he's actually just a fluffy ball of fur. And awfully sweet, too.