Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I am about to go crazy. I have been lying in this bed for a week and a half. My doctor said I had to rest, because my leg had been heavily injured because I forced it too much in my training. Like it was me who pushed my body over the limit.

I tried convincing him that I felt much better and was now able to walk. I´ve already used that trick with him and, as expected, he didn´t believe me. Also, I tried talking Bianca around the rule, but there was not much hope on succeeding. She knows me too well.

I have been fiddling with the sheets for more than an hour. I hate being secluded like this, knowing that I will have to work way harder to get my body on track again. I can see in Bianca´s expression that she hates to see me like this, but when it comes to my injuries, she´s as strict as Uncle Lorenzo can be.

I hate not being able to do anything. The only things I can do are staring at the ceiling and knit. I prefer staring at the ceiling.

I miss running and training. I don´t miss training as much, because that brings me memories of Giorgio and I get mad again. We hate each other deeply, but we work together only because we fear the power of Uncle Lorenzo. I some way it feels good, because every time I train, I focus my anger by imagining its Giorgio I´m hitting.

Training has always been a part of my life, if not all. At a young age, I felt really proud of what I could do. For many years, I sat by my window and watched the girls playing in the alleys. I used to feel a little bit sorry for them because if they were attacked by someone, they wouldn´t be able to nothing about it. Of course, nothing ever happened to them. Like somebody had a reason to want them dead. Deep inside, I always wanted to go and play with those girls, forget about training and have a normal life. As if that were possible.

Doing what I have been doing for days, I watched the small particles of dust slowly dance around the room, shining with the light and heard Bianca stand up from where she was knitting and walk towards the door.

She opened the door a little bit and said:

“I´m going out for a while, Anna” Bianca said as she exited the room and closed the door behind her.

As soon as I heard the door close, I started to move. I´m eager to get out of this bed and stretch my legs for the first time in days. It was hard to move and each movement sent little pangs of pain throughout my leg. It has gotten better, but it still is a little bit sore.

The door opened abruptly and I saw Bianca´s head peek through the door.

“Don´t even think I didn´t knew you were gonna get up as soon as I left the room, Anna Caterina. I was just calling Colleta to take care of you. Please get some rest, Anna” said Bianca as she disappeared in the hallway.

            I sighing and sinking in my bed, I heard Colleta enter my room and lay down next to me.

            “How are you feeling?” Colleta said, with preoccupation palpable in her words.

            “Great.” I responded sarcastically. As soon as I said it, I regretted it. I knew it wasn´t Colleta´s fault I was confined to this bed. “I´ve been feeling better, but I´m sick of being in this room” I corrected

            “I´m sorry, Anna. I know how much you hate not training and going out.” she said.

I wanted to change the subject, because talking about it only made me madder. I wanted to hear news about the outside world and Colleta was the best person to give me that information.

            “So, what has been going on?” I asked

            “Not much. Gian and Facio have been fighting less. Gian is starting to eat by himself. And St. Marcs Day is very near.” Colleta said as she smiled goofily.

            St. Marcs Day is my birthday. And also the day were every man in Venezia declares his eternal love to his girl. Ugh.