Chapter 4: The Fall

Looking away from the scene, I took a few deep breaths.

"Why did they just block it off with a wall instead of getting rid of the bodies?" Monk asked.

John shook his head.
"Who knows..?" John turned Masako around, telling her to keep her eyes shut. He then walked to the bodies.
John chanted a prayer for them..

It was probably one of the most saddest things I had ever witnessed so far.

"Lin. Can you go find a tarp or anything to cover this up, please?" Naru asked, his eyes locked onto the decaying sight.

Lin left.

"Mai. Describe to us again on what this room looked like" Monk paced back and forth, in his thoughts.

"Well.. As I said, the woman was over there" I pointed back to the spot.
"The man stood here and well.. Right next to the.. Bodies.. A table was right here- which would have them sacrifice the children. Their children were In that corner where Ayako is standing.. Uh.. Let's see.. I think that's it.. Besides the weird red circle that use to be on the floor but other than that I think that's all" I explained.

He nodded his head.

"Something's here.. I'll open my eyes but whatever you're trying to prevent me from seeing- I will not look in that direction" Masako said as she turned towards the staircase.

"What do you mean something's here? Who or what is it?!" I asked, my eyes widening.

"It's a girl.. She's.. Crying. Over there, in the middle of the room" Masako pointed but didn't look.

"I found some sheets" Lin dashed towards the middle, placing the sheets on top of the mess.

"Ah! Please stop screaming! We're sorry that you went through all of this- Please we're trying to help you!" Masako cried, covering her ears.

I ran up to her.
"Masako!"

After a few moments she finally snapped out of it.
"It was the girl on the camera" she mumbled.

"It'll be okay" I turned to Naru.
"I think we should call it a day, don't you think?"

With a sigh, he nodded.
"Let's go back to the office then"

As we made it up the stairs, I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
I ended up shaking it off and continued on.

......

I laid down on my bed, my nightgown drooping on the right side of the bed.
Naru told us to stay in our rooms until he let's us know to go back to base.
I kept my door open just in case someone came or whatever but at least I can hear and see them coming.

Though- after the first 10 minutes or so, Alex kept walking up and down the hallway, passing by the room.
He would look at me for a few seconds then walk off so I ended up shutting the door.

I never wore this nightgown before, but Ayako insisted on me wearing it for some odd reason.

My phone vibrated against my side. I got up, turned on the phone and to see that Naru had texted me to come back to base.

.....

Mai jumped out of the bed, dashing out into the hallway.
Once she entered into the room, gripping her phone tightly- she realized that only Masako and Ayako were there.

"We're just waiting on the guys" Ayako said. "And see. I told you you would look nice in that. Call it as an early birthday gift, k?"

"Uh.. Alright" Mai hesitantly sat down on a chair, rubbing her eyes.

After awhile, while she was twirling her somewhat now long hair between her fingers, the boys finally arrived.
Everyone besides Naru and Lin were in their pajamas.

"We went back down there after Kazuya had found some weird activity on the cameras" John said as he sat down.

"Like what?" Masako asked.

"The temperatures had begun to drop extremely low not too long after we all got back and also on the audio feed, we heard a chopping noise" Naru sighed, scratching the back of his head as he went through some files by the monitors.

'Chopping noises' Mai thought.
She shivered, the thought of what she seen in her "dream" made her feel sick.

"Monk, Ayako, and John. Before you go rest for the night- I want you three to make charms and place them in the bedrooms, and the basement" Naru ordered as he tossed the files with frustration.

"Sure thing" The three said.
They went to a bag full of supplies, grabbed many slips of papers and 3 markers and got to work.

'Something must have happened when they were down there.. Naru doesn't usually act like this- and he never bothered to look at any of us when he spoke'

Naru went to the monitors, examining each one. As John, Ayako, and Monk left, leaving only Masako and Mai in the room. Finally after a few minutes of looking, the boy faced Mai; examining her. "Mai. I want you stay close to me until we get this case done. I don't trust you being alone or going near that couple, you understand?"

"Uh alright"

"I'm not joking. Don't run off if you get upset or frustrated or scared. Both of you"

Mai raised her hands up, "Okay! Okay! Chill"

He rolled his eyes. "What's with the dress?"

"It's a nightgown Ayako gave me"
'Didn't really expect you to say anything about it'

He shrugged then turned around; facing the monitors again.

....

Mai laid her head on her hand, closing her eyes as she sat in a chair. 

 She dozed off for awhile- surprisingly she did not have her crazy dreams, it was just darkness in her mind. Mai then faintly heard multiple footsteps run in the room, then the door slamming.
Her skin was crawling with heat- she woke up. Naru was in her view, "Stay awake right now" he flatly said, walking away.

"Wait.. What's going on?" she said tiredly.
But a few seconds later, her answer showed up. 
'The couple? But.. Why?'

She heard their voices behind the door, they were threatening everyone- especially Mai.
Mai had suspected it had to be the spirits behind it- but no one listened. 

The lights went out. Everything turned black. 

.......

The heat in my body soon got worse to the point I was screaming in my head.
I dropped to my knees, my body feeling as if it was being ripped open. I felt something touch my shoulder- I turned my head, my eyes adjusting. 

"You're.. heating up" Naru mumbled. "What the hell.."

The lights began to flicker, the pain grew more intense.. I started to cry out, tears spilling out of my eyes..
He held on to me.. My vision begun to blur.. soon I felt my body go numb; frozen.

"Mai!" 

I collapsed. Everything went black. I could still feel the burning sensation in my chest. I could still feel my head pounding as the lights went off. I still felt the pain of when I fell down the stairs. I heard screaming. I heard crying. I couldn't open my eyes- but I heard it.

I was falling into the abyss of the unknown.