Stolen Streets - chapter 2

I woke up to the feeling of cold rain running down my face. With a startled choke, I sit up quickly, my hazel eyes wide and alert. Once I had finally established it was only rain dripping onto me, I let out a sigh of relief. I’ve been feeling immensely uptight and alert since I’ve left. I shouldn’t be though. I’m probably about 36 miles away from home, and I took a back route, so there’s no possible way my father could find me.

I wipe off my face with the back of my hand, and pull my knees up to my chest. I scoot back so I can lean against the tree I had picked to sleep under. It has a thick trunk and a lot of leaves, but rain drops still find their way through, falling and splashing onto my head.

The tree and I sit in silence for several minutes, until my stomach growls loudly, begging for food. I grab my bag and rummage through it, pulling out some beef jerky, an apple, and the bottle of water that was halfway done from yesterday.

“All right Destiny,” I say to myself after I'm done eating, “time to get a move on.”

And with that, I jumped to my feet with my pack on my back, finding the muddy trail and continuing north, determined to get farther away from home. Farther away from my father.

After about an hour and a half of walking, the rain had stopped, and I had spotted something in the distance. As I got closer, I realized it was a town. A town with white picket fences hugging each yard, houses painted to perfection, and freshly watered gardens. Everything looked new and expensive. The grass on each and every lawn looked nicer than my own home itself.

I walked down the evenly paved sidewalk, gaping at each house I passed in awe. I sure didn’t belong here. I stood out like a sore thumb, with my heavy work boots that clunked with each step, my faded jean shorts, my worn out blue tank top, and the enormous bag that rested on my back.

I tucked my straight blond hair behind my ear self consciously, hoping nobody noticed me yet. I was only passing through this town anyway. I had no intentions to stay any longer than I have to.

“Hi.”

My eyes widened and I slowly turned around, my fists clenched, in case I needed to be ready to punch this person.

“You don’t look like you’re from around here,” the person said.

“No. I’m not,” I said to the girl, who I was now facing. She had medium length light brown hair which was pulled up in a high ponytail, and big electric blue eyes. She was wearing dark blue Capri jeans, and a bright orange tee-shirt.

“Where are you from?” the girl asked, curious.

“Um…,” I mumbled, my hands finding their way up to the straps of my pack, and gripping tightly.

“Sorry if I’m being nosy,” she said. Her head was down and she kicked the asphalt lightly.

“It’s okay.”

I was actually pretty glad to actually interact with another human, considering I haven’t really talked to anyone in more than 24 hours.

“Are you just passing through?” she asked, her head rose toward the sky, which was a light blue now, instead of the depressing gray color it had been earlier.

“Yep,” I said, turning my back to her and starting to leave.

“You’re running away from home aren’t you? Or are you an orphan?” the girl called out, jogging up next to me.

“I’m leaving home and never going back.”

“I wish I could do that,” the girl whispered.

“Yeah?”

“My dad hates me and my mom drinks,”the girl vented. I looked at her from the corner of my eye.

“My dad used to beat me.”

“Is that why you left?”

“Yep.”

We walked along the sidewalk for several minutes in silence.

“What’s your name?” the girl asked.

“Destiny.”

“That’s a beautiful name,” the girl gushed.

“Thanks.”

“I’m Heather.”

“Cool,” I replied, swatting my blond hair off my face.

We walked in silence again; the only sound heard was the sound of wind rustling the leaves of the Cherry Blossom trees.

“I know we just met, but can I ask you something?” Heather asked.

“Sure.”

Heather inhaled deeply, and then sputtered out, “can I go with you?”

I halted to a stop. “What?”

“I’d like to leave with you. If that’s okay. I mean… I’m just not wanted at my house anymore.”

“I, uh…,” I stuttered.

Heather covered her face with her hands in humiliation. “I’m sorry,” she muttered through her hands.

“Heather, how old are you?” I asked awkwardly.

“I’m thirteen,” she said, removing her hands from her face.

“Do you have any siblings?”

“Yes. I have a brother, and he’s fifteen.”

“Won’t he miss you if you leave?”

She stood there quietly for a minute, before saying, “Yes.”

“Then you shouldn’t leave,” I said finally, starting to walk away once again.

“Wait up!”

“What now?” I spat, hoping I didn’t sound as annoyed as I felt.

“Please,” Heather begged me.

“What about your brother?”

“I could bring him with us,” she whispered, grabbing my arm so I would stop.

“Then how about you and your brother sort this all out together, and I’ll be on my way.”

“No. I want to go with you.”

“Why?” I asked perplexed.

“Because you seem like you know what you’re doing.”

I sighed, unsure of what to do now. It would be nice to have some company, but on the other hand, this could technically be considered kid-napping. Except for the fact I’m the same age as her brother.

“My mom and dad are working right now,” Heather added.

“Meaning?” I prompted.

“My brother and I could gather our stuff, and you could get a shower at my house.”

“I haven’t had a shower in two days.”

“Yeah, I can tell,” she giggled.

I bit my lip in thought,

“C’mon,” Heather said, her blue eyes boring into me.

I sighed. “Alright.”