Chapter Two

Atif was listening his commander's instructions very carefully because it was such an important mission that he believed if he succeeded in this mission, he would be honored before his God and of course his boss and the whole "Jihadi" team would appreciate him. He was so excited that he forgot that he was so tired and his body needed some rest, but he could only remember that the coming day would prove if he is ready to sacrifice everything for his lord's will or not. He was sure that there were much more chances of his death, in case the enemy's bullet hit him during the operation. He tried to sleep, but it seemed as if he had been destined to remain awoke for rest of his life, but as a matter of fact nature has its own principles; so he fell asleep when it was almost the dawn of the next day.

It was Sunday, and Emily had made it her permanent routine that she would visit the market every Sunday for shopping some necessary things. This Sunday she felt as if something would go wrong, that's what happened every time when something was really supposed to happen, therefore, this habit of reading omens made her capable of making correct and immediate decisions. She was confused whether to go or not, but she was unable to believe in her omens this time because she was upset and her mind was busy in deciding whether she should continue her job or quit it. It's not that she had a hard job, she enjoyed every facility which one would wish and pray for, but there was something she found missing in her job- something which satisfies one's self-conscious.

Atif believed if he ever had a chance to witness devil, he would most probably look like an American; he was told that American government and the people were all devil in the disguise of humans and he found no good reason to believe if there were at least some good people too in America, therefore, he promised himself to make sure, he doesn't lose any chance to harm anyone who is directly or indirectly affiliated with Americans. Anti-Americanism was what he thought made him a real Muslim and close to God; so here was a golden chance for him to harm the devil when he was told about the plan to attack an American base in Afghanistan.

Emily was very proud the day she joined the American force as a doctor, because she felt a very different and unique feeling of honor, whenever, she treated an injured soldier whom she considered her country's savoir, but since the day she was sent to Afghanistan along with a medical team, she often felt something bad about her job and about herself being a companion of those who do not find it a big deal if some innocent people are killed in an operation. She often argued about this issue with her colleagues who had their own version of logics to prove it as a common practice, in every war and they were to obey their officers and politicians, for whom humanity had a very little space in comparison to their political interests; and that's what exactly she hated about her job. 

It was the most difficult situation in his life; indeed he loved his beard more than his life but now his boss ordered him to get himself clean shaved and dress up like an American; so that it became easy for them to abduct Emily and demand for the freedom of some of their most important men. For a while he thought he would deny and tell them that Islam respects the women and that he will have to answer his God for this heinous crime but then his mind won over his heart... Consistent brain washing of almost a decade overwhelmed the few good things he knew about his religion but those "a few good things", never allowed him to do something so miserable, and again it were these few good things which kept reminding him that he was going to commit an unforgiveable sin...

"May I have the courage to talk to you for a moment", a strange voice attracted Emily's attention and she abruptly looked back to see, who was speaking such a beautiful English with an accurate American accent.

"Y... Yes... b... but", it was the first time she really felt it very difficult to talk, because she had seen many men, some handsome, some attractive, some decent, and some of them could compete for a beauty contest, but he was different; he was unique and possessed all the qualities at the same time. He was handsome, tall, smart, beautiful, decent, well dressed, stylish and healthy. She was completed spell bound the moment she looked at her.

"Excuse me", he said after a while.

Yes, but I think I don't know you, she responded him this time.

"Hmmm, so don't you think we should sit somewhere to know one other?" he asked.

"But I can't go with a stranger", she responded a bit harshly this time just to tell him she is not inspired by his beauty at all.

"Do you have any alternate in case if someone wants to talk to you and he is a stranger", he stressed on the word "stranger".

"Ok but only for some minutes", she gave up resisting.

Both of them came out of the supermarket and started moving towards a restaurant. It was second time that she could not read her omens, though she felt she must not have moved out without informing the guards. She was completely mesmerized by the beauty of his eyes, so deep and so strange. She felt, he speaks more with his eyes than the tongue. Such a strange man, whose company feels like a great comfort than any threat even being a total stranger? 

It was not a big restaurant so there were not so many people around; therefore, they booked a table at the corner and ordered for a coffee. Emily looked around if there were people watching them but there were none except them.

"So what were you saying", asked Emily.

"Actually I can't find the proper words to begin", Atif said in such a way, that she felt as if the story was related to her life.

 "Please tell me, I am here to listen", she insisted upon him to continue without any hesitation.

"Would you believe if I say I love America and the American nation so much"? He said when he could not find something else to say and in a struggle to win her confidence.

"Is there any reason I would say no, of course, everyone loves America", she answered in a puzzled tone, because for her every man on earth loved America.

"Not every man on earth, there are many who desperately hate Americans", he spoke with a bitter voice this time and at once realized that he would lose her trust if he behaved with such an attitude.

Both Emily and Atif engaged in a long debate over whether Americans are good or not, but there debate ended without any conclusion. After they realized that it was getting late and they must leave, Emily felt that she was feeling sleepy and slowly losing her senses and that is when Atif diverted her attention to something else so that she might not doubt that he had mixed something in her coffee. He paid the bill and quickly took her to his car and started moving towards his apartment very far from the city in the out skirts.  He thought when the security agencies came to know about her abduction, they would have moved so far out of their reach.