A Peek into the Mind of Katniss Everdeen

ok so this was an English ISU I had to do. so comments on how i could have made it better are welcome You may not want to read this because theres a lot of indepth thinking and it might not be how you personaly see things and may upset you. if you have comments they are welcome (so are votes). Constructive critisism is welcome BUT negativity and rudeness is not.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED This is an essay I created so any copying and plagerism is not welcome and is punishable by law. if you want to use any info from here please tell me first and cite me, as an information sorce.

________________________________________________________________________

                                     A Peek into the Mind of Katniss Everde

          In the novel "the Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins Katniss, the main character, is forced to fight her way through dangerous situations that ultimately change her personality forever. Katniss is a17 year old girl who lives in an impoverish village called District Twelve. All Districts are ruled by the leader of the Capitol. Every year the Capitol hosts The Hunger Games, a form of entertainment for the Capitol citizens and a way to reinforce control over the District citizens.Every child between the ages of 12 and 18 must put their name into a jar, separating the boys from girls, the older you are the more slips with your name must be put into the jar. Two tributes are randomly chosen, one male and the other female, from each District, to participate in the Hunger Games. Peeta and Prim, Katniss' little sister, were chosen but Katniss volunteers to take Prim’s place out of love for her sibling. As mentioned before, the Hunger Games are meant to entertain the Capitol citizens and control the District citizens. Each District must give up two children that will fight against the other District's tributes and each other. For the game to be finished everyone must be dead but one person, the tributes are playing a game of "survivor".

           Before the Hunger Games, Katniss shows a lack of confidence in herself, which slowly grows as she proves to herself and others that she is capable of surviving. Near the beginning of the book, we learn that Katniss has one friend, a boy named Gale, who worked hard for the title of friend. The fact that it took a long time to gain her trust, hints that she has trust issues and may have others. When Katniss was younger her father died, he was the parent she connected with the most, the one who taught her to hunt and sing. When he died she didn’t just lose her father, she lost her mother, who couldn’t handle the grief and closed into herself, and her child hood. She now needed to provide for her incapable mother, Prim and herself. Most likely Katniss' lack of trust developed around the time of his death, because when the main provider, her father, died she trusted her mother to step up and comfort and care for her children. But that never happened. Instead of caring for her children, she ignored them and made Katniss have to take up the role of provider, and in the process, she lost Katniss' faith and trust. Katniss was about eleven years old when she became the provider of her family but, because of her age and the season (winter) she was unable to care for them and had to watch her sister slowly die. Katniss continued to watch her sister, Prim,becomemalnourished and sick until a young boy her age gave them food. Prim is the most important person to her and because she was unable to feed her, she lost a lot of confidence in her abilities. When Katniss volunteers to take Prims place in the Hunger Games, she's given both a huge amount of respect but also a large put down.

"At first one, then another, then almost every member of the crowd touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out to me. It’s an old and rarely used gesture of our district, occasionally seen at funerals. Itmeans thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love." (Collins 24)