Chapter 10

When I managed to get my breathing in check, I went down another step and took a closer look at the figure who was my estranged father. He looked lost and I could have sworn that I felt his intensity all over the place. His eyes were the lightest of grey, twinkling.  He wore a blue shirt which was unbuttoned at the top, dark jeans and black boat shoes – just like always. Was I missing something though?  What the hell was he doing at the Burts house?

He looked around as if to search for somebody but it was as if he failed because he grabbed hold of his suitcase and was ready to leave, when Rodney stopped him.

“Sir, Don’t you recognize any of your family in here?” Rodney called out.

Dad turned around with a frown on his face. “What do you mean family? I rang the wrong house and I’m very sorry about that,” He spat.

“Just come here and take a look, man. You got lucky because one of them’s right here.”

He put his suitcase down and went inside. He shook Rodney’s hand and nodded in greetings. Dad looked around the room. I just couldn’t handle it anymore. I gave a glance back to the gang and took off outside, passing by the disguisting piece of work who infact gave me a concerned look before recognizing me and taking off after me.

As I arrived at the door, I grab my keys and before I could open the door, I’m stopped.  He grabbed me from the arm as if I were a child to scold.

“Get your hand off of me, Bryce.”

“I know you hate me, Arielle. What I did was wrong and I paid for what I did. I’m a changed man – I can show you both that,” He murmured.

“Well you didn’t seem like you’ve changed at all.”

“Don’t judge by the looks of it. Darling, I came to make things right. I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness but I truly am sorry. I still love your mother – I never stopped loving your mother. You’re my baby girl and hurting you was the worst thing I have ever done. Calling me in was the best thing you could have ever done. I wasn’t in a good place and I needed some brushing up – which I eventually got,” He turned me around slowly.

“What you did will never change, Bryce. You cannot change what you did. Do you know what I had to go through because of you? I was always the drunk’s girl in Jersey. I was always the pychotic girl and nobody wanted me around. You ruined our life so no, no I will absolutely not forgive you. You are the black stain of my past so if you’ll excuse me, I’m going inside. You leave this place and never come back,” I said, my voice a little higher.

“I am not leaving, Arielle. Your mother and I talked on the phone and she said that she’d let me stay at your house for a couple of days,” He smirked.

“What? Mom let you of all people stay?” I shrieked.

He nodded. Oh my god, was she being serious? I groaned, turned around and opened the door. What the hell was going on? She was the one being all stressy about him coming to Paverlawn and then I hear that he was staying at the house? I just couldn’t quite process the whole thing.

As I was going up the stairs, he stopped me.

“Okay where do I stay? Where’s your mother?” He looked confused. It reminded me of the look he had when the police forces were escorting him out – he had looked at me with such look that made me have nightmares about it for almost two months.

“Like I give a damn about where you’re staying and mom is working, someone has to earn a living around here.” I rolled my eyes at him and I was ready to go upstairs when he stopped me again for the hundred time today.