Chapter 4 - Part 2

Crystal

I was fixed to the spot as I watched the stranger hold the rogue, who had just attacked me, up against the tree with a strong vice-like grip of his hand around its neck. The werewolf growled, baring its sharp knife-like teeth. The stranger didn't tremble with fear; instead, he leaned closer, a look of disgust on his face as his eyes ran over the face of the werewolf.

It was impossible for a human man to do what this man in front of me was.

"Attacking a defenseless female human is the sign of a coward," he spat.

My heart thumped so hard in my chest it felt like it was going to explode.

Run, my mind screamed at me but I couldn't move. My eyes took in the stranger. He was tall and intimidating. All of his clothes were black. Jeans, shirt and leather jacket. His midnight-black hair hung straight to his jaw. It wasn't his outward appearance of power that was frightening. There was something in his slow and purposeful movements that scared me to my core.

Get up and run, I urged myself, hoping to break my panicked immobility.

The stranger swung his gaze back to mine. The breath in my lungs froze. His eyes were so dark they were black and depthless. I had to smother the urge to stumble to my feet and run blindly through the forest in the opposite direction.

His eyes scanned me from head to toe before he turned back to his captive, who was starting to struggle.

The werewolf started to fight back with more determination as if sensing the thick foreboding that was to come hanging in the air.

"Do you have any last words?" the man asked with a steeliness in his voice. There would be no relenting.

The rogue began to try and kick its way free.

"Then so be it."

The finality in his quiet but menacing voice should have indicated what was going to happen next but when he slammed the werewolf against the tree one last time, I flinched at the sudden action. The animal yelped as it dropped to the ground.

In a flash, the man in black produced a nine-inch silver knife and plunged it straight into the heart of the rogue.

So easy, in just seconds. Impossible.

I gasped and watched its amber eyes lose their depth. It only took moments for the life to disappear.

The sound of the knife being pulled from the dead body made me flinch and I squeezed my eyes closed for a brief moment. But there was no escaping the situation I was in. When I opened my eyes, it was to see the man stand up and sheathe his knife after wiping off the blood on the fur of the dead rogue.

His super strength confirmed what he was. Now I had that piece of information, being attacked by a rogue werewolf seemed like a walk in the park. I was in serious trouble now.

He was looking down at the dead werewolf with a look of disgust and a sneer before he turned his gaze back to me. His eyes were cold as they held mine.

I swallowed my fear, trying not to allow him to see how scared I really was. I held my breath slightly as he walked over to me and bent down beside me.

"You're hurt," he said softly as he took my injured arm and began to examine it. Bite marks and tears in my skin still dripped blood. He let go of my arm.

I gasped when he took out his knife. Seeing my reaction, he stilled.

"You have nothing to fear. I won't hurt you."

I didn't know him yet, but I believed his words. Even though I had just seen him kill a rogue, without any remorse, just a few minutes before. But he didn't know what I was; the wolfsbane hid my true identity. He believed I was a defenseless human girl.