Chapter Five

"Are you ready to go, Thea?" Aiden asked. "Because we need to leave as soon as possible. The sooner you're ready, the sooner you all can get to safety."

"Safety?" I echoed. "What's so unsafe?" I heard another gunshit from out in the woods, and couldn't help but wonder if that's what he was talking about.

"I need to go home and get some things," Colton said. He put one arm around my shoulders, making me wonder whether or not we were fighting. He made it so effortless to be together, yet he would picj fights and they'd burn themselves out.

Aiden shook his head. "There's no time for that. Thea, one bag only." I sighed and abandoned my lighter bag. I'll have shirts and jeans, just not extra bras and panties. How lovely.

"Good girl." I couldn't tell who said it, but I wanted to bitchslap both men.

"I'm not a dog," I snapped.

"Nobody said you were," Aiden said calmly. Colton chuckled, then gave my shoulders a light squeeze. I could tell what was coming even before he said it.

"But you're my bitch," he muttered, biting my ear playfully. I parted my lipsnslightly, letting a small sigh escape. Mom glared at me and I immediately pulled away from Colton. Embarrassed as I was, I willed myself not to blush.

Aiden clapped his hands togeter. "All right. Now, if you two are done we have to go." I laughed nervously while Colton stayed absolutely calm.

"Sorry," he said coolly, causing my mother to laugh.

I picked up my bag and followed everyone outside. Mom and Colton hesitated, so I did the same. "Well?" Aiden demanded. "Are you or are you not coming?"

"Depending on how you define the word," Colton said. "But in both cases, yes." I slapped him on his shoulder, laughing. When he looked at me, I only shook my head. He laughed, earning a glare from Aiden. Immediately we stopped laughing and followed wordlessly.

Silently, Aiden headed towards the woods. Beside me, Mom let out a surprised gasp. "Really?" she whispered. "The woods?"

Aiden nodded grimly. "Yes," he said. "It's the only way. If you want to be safe, that is. You do want to be safe, don't you?"

Mom nodded, and Colton tensed beside me. I took his hand, not making any sign as to my agreement or disagreement. I was hating this man more and more by the minute. Was there honestly a chance that I could be going to his school?

We continued in, almost silently. Mom walked loudly, proving that she was not one to be outside. Colton, Aiden and I walked quietly, watching our steps. Sounds echoed through the woods, magnified by the silence.

"Stop," Aiden said suddenly, holding up his hand. We all stopped behind him, scared silent. We listened carefully, trying to hear whatever it was he heard. I loomed over at Colton; he only zhook his head.

Motioning for us to stay, Aiden ventured forward a few steps before crouching down. A twig snapped from somwhere behind us. I whipled my head around, looking to see whoever or whatever was there. Since I couldn't see anyting, I looked to Colton. Once again, he shook his head, signifying thathe came to the same conclusion I had.

Hesitantly, I took a step forward and then stopped. Ignoring the daggers Aiden was glaring at me, I took another, and another. Colton folllowec my lead, and Mom followed his. Soon we left Aiden behind and continued walking.

After walking past tree after tree, the clearing was a welcome sight. What stod on the other side, though, wasn't. Armed men stood in a row, their stern faces trained on us. Aiden emerged from the trees behind us, running straight i to my back. "I warned you," he whispered. "Didn't I?"

"I supposeyou did," Colton snapped back at him. "But you didn't say anything as a warning, so it wasn't really a fair warning." He shook his head angrily, glaring at Aiden. I put my hand on his arm, in way of calming him down.

Across the clearing, a man stepped forward. He shouldered a rather large gun, looking directly at me. Pulling off his hood, his green eyes flashed as he locked gazes with me. "What are you doing?" he asked i a deep, rough voice. A part of me may have found his voice attractive, but that part wasn't in control. I don't think there was any contol.

"We.. I just..." My voice broke with the reality of the situation. I swallowed hard, searching the ground with my eyes as I desperately searched for a concrete thought.

"We were going for a walk," Colton said.

Yeah, a walk my ass.