01

"I'm sorry to say this Mr. Stark, but you've endured significant trauma to your head. We sadly cannot help to bring your vision back."

Tony stood rigid, his palms enclosed in one another. He rang them over each other again and again, trying to convince himself that this wasn't happening. Tony Stark does not have fall outs with his best friend. Tony Stark does not get left by said best friend in Siberia for 18 hours to die. Tony Stark does not go blind.

"We believe your vision will stay blurred for a matter of a few months until you lose your full sight. We're not entirely sure if you'll have complete loss of your sight in this case, but you'll at the very least lose 65% of your vision."

Tony didn't speak much to anyone after the news of his head trauma. The doctors said that he was 'lucky.' That he should be glad being sightless was the only symptom he achieved from it.

'Achieved.' That sounded like he won a fucking medal. He bit his tongue till it tasted of iron just like that serpent word. The doc should have said burden. He still had so much he needed to do. He had so many thingd he still needed to make up for.

Tony had killed people with the weapons he designed. He was the Merchant of Death. Even that name was self explanatory for the things he had to do to fix what he had done.

He'd rather have died than lose something that was such a large part of him.

Right after Tony had that selfish thought he hung his head low. He wouldn't leave his family. Peter was just showing the very start of his potential. That kid was going places and Tony sure as hell was going to be there for him. Be there for him like his Dad wasn't.

Rhodey was his best friend. They'd been there for each other through the thick and the thin. Tony needed to build braces far better than any others on the market for him. He needed to fix his mistakes.

Pepper stayed by his side at the compound after the news. That wasn't necessary in Tony's mind. No, it wasn't wanted. She didn't need to see Tony like this. She deserved so much better than his broken mind along with his broken body.

So, so broken.

No, that wasn't the word for it.

This was just an obstacle. Yes, an obstruction that could take some time to get over, but will nevertheless be jumped over.

Probably climbed over.

Or dragged across by the stubborn redhead beside him.

"-ny? Tony?"

Stark's head looked up trying to focus as much as he was capable of now that he was-

Incapable of seeing as well as he did prior to the-

Accident.

God, he hated that word. Accident, incident, whichever they chose to label it. It was karma. Yeah, that's what it was. Payback for being the big shot Tony Stark. For killing so many with his weapons. For losing most of his friends.

Well, the big shot Tony Stark can suck it up and deal with it now.

"Tony?"

The billionaire turned his head to face the voice. His eyes locked with Pepper's. He wasn't completely blind yet, he still had a while to take in her beautiful features before he lost everything.

"Hm?"

It was only a small hum in reply, but it seemed like enough to reassure the poor worried woman some.

"Are you okay?"

Her question had so much concern. She loved him so much. Tony was glad he had atleast one person that held some sort of love or appreciation towards him. That was something he could hold onto. He could hold onto Pepper, Rhody, Peter, and Vision. He could wait out the worst.