I can't promise

Lindsey glanced at the clock on the kitchen wall for the nth time in the past hour. He knew Stevie loved to sleep in, but it was nearing 1 pm. Taking the cup of coffee he had made for her, Lindsey decided to risk it. Climbing the stairs, he turned right and stopped by their bedroom door. Twisting the doorknob slowly, he entered the room and found Stevie asleep. Lindsey smiled at the sight of her, as he approached her side and sat down on the edge of the bed. Bringing a hand up to her face, he brushed stray hair out of her face, causing her to stir.

"Wake up, babe. I'm getting bored... Stevie?" Leaning in, Lindsey kissed her lips softly, then whispered. "I can't find Sulamith."

Stevie's eyes opened at that and Lindsey sat up straight, mouth agape. "You have got to be kidding me!" He shook his head, laughing. "Don't worry, your precious baby is safe."

"Why would you joke about my baby?" Stevie asked, suppressing a yawn.

"Because I knew that would wake you up."

"You're mean." Stevie pouted, but not for long, as she sat up, accepting the coffee. "Thank you. What time is it?"

"It's time for you not to be sleeping anymore."

"Why not? I think I deserve some rest." She argued, sipping from her cup. "We just came home after that long tour. I want to do nothing for the upcoming month at least."

Lindsey laughed. "Sure. I'd love to see that! Come on, we both know, you'll want to start working on some project soon."

Shrugging her shoulders first, Stevie then nodded. "You're probably right."

That's not something I hear every day, Lindsey thought. "Mick called. He's throwing a dinner party to celebrate the successful tour. It will be just us, family."

"When?"

"Friday night. He kindly invited us to his Maui residence for a few days."

"Getting on a plane again?" Stevie whined.

"Yes, but it would be like a vacation. We could stay a bit longer if you wanted, just you and me. We haven't done that in a long time."

"That's true." Stevie agreed, having thought about it. "I really don't want a big group of people though."

"It won't be." Seeing she was biting on her lip, Lindsey knew she was considering it. "So? Should I call Mick back and tell him that we're coming?"

"Yeah, we are." Stevie nodded and Lindsey gave her a quick peck before going to give Mick a call.

While Lindsey was busy laughing about something Mick said on the other end of the line, Stevie got out of bed and made her way downstairs, bringing the empty cup to the kitchen. Having washed it quickly, she put it away and dried her hands.

Then the doorbell rang.

They weren't expecting anyone in particular today, but they had visitors all the time, so Stevie didn't give it much thought, tightening the robe around her, before she reached for the handle and opened the door.

Stevie couldn't believe her eyes. Her mouth went dry, hands started shaking and her heart was beating out of her chest. Quickly, stepping outside, she gently closed the door behind her, not wanting to make a sound.

"What are you doing here?!"

"Hello to you too." The woman said.

"Don't." Stevie told her sternly. "How did you even find us?"

"It's a lot easier than you might think." She shrugged, angering Stevie further. "But I'm not here to argue."

"Then why the hell are you here?" Stevie asked, arms folded over her chest.

"I need to speak to Lindsey."

"Oh no. No you do not and no you will not." Stevie shook her head, adding. "I thought we made an agreement? A very large agreement to be exact."

"I know, but-"

"No, you don't get to do this, Sheryl." The last thing Stevie wished for was to appear weak in front of that woman, but knowing what a huge power she held over her, Stevie couldn't help but instantly become nervous.

"I deserve to speak to him."

"I really don't think you do." Stevie said, shaking her head. "How dare you accept that check from me, then show up on our doorstep all these years later? What, did you run out of money?"

"Stevie, I just-"

"No." Stevie repeated. "No, you nothing. Please, I'm asking you to leave and don't come here again."

With her jaw clenched, Sheryl stood, staring at Stevie for a minute longer. She genuinely didn't want to cause a scene, but then again, she did want to talk to Lindsey.

"Fine, I'll go. However, I can't promise you that I won't come back." She turned around with that and walked away, leaving Stevie with a very unsettling feeling.

Reentering the house, Stevie sighed in relief that Lindsey hadn't come looking for her yet. She felt hot tears threatening to fall, but hearing Lindsey say goodbye to Mick over the phone, she quickly brushed them away and locked herself in the downstairs bathroom to splash some cold water on her face.

She really didn't think this ghost from the past was going to come back and haunt her.