The Saviour of Winterfell (A Sansa Stark/Game of Thrones fanfiction)

'Once again I woke up in a cold sweat. Not the usual flashback nightmare of when I was almost abused, but something that would be considered a great crime. I killed King Joffrey. Cersei. All of them. And no one ever knew it was me.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Sansa my dear, a letter arrived for you today,' Cersei said, as she handed me the little cream envelope. The carefully inked writing on the front of it had obviously taken the sender a great deal of time to write, as it was neat and all in line. 'Thank you, my lady,' I replied, as I curtseyed and left the room. As I headed to the courtyard, I noticed Cersei's maids all huddled in a group, seemingly in deep discussion. 'Odd,' I thought to myself, 'Cersei doesn't usually let her maids leave all at once.'.

I took a seat just under the white rose bush, in the delightful company of the rare sun. I could feel my face light up in excitement as I read. 'My dearest sister, I am travelling at this moment and I have run into some spare time, so I thought I would take this opportunity to visit you. My dear Sansa things were getting better at home before I left. Things are finally starting to look up after Robb, Catelyn, Talisa and Greywind were cruelly murdered. Arya is gone and me and young Rickon are travelling with Jojen Reed and his sister Meera. We are learning about survival in the woods, you'll be pleased to know. Anyway, I digress. If everything I'm doing at present goes to plan, I should be with you by March 4th. Goodbye for now dear sister,

Your beloved brother, Bran.'

The letter said. I smiled with joy. I hadn't seen Bran in months, and I missed him so. I hope I also get to see Rickon, and meet Jojen and Meera, but I suppose I ask too much. I put the letter back into the envelope and tucked it down the top of my dress. As I stood to leave, I felt a firm hand on my shoulder. 'My dear, walk with me,' came the voice of Cersei. She carried a worried expression. 'Sansa my love, I am sorry to have to tell you this but I have word from Greywater Watch. Your brother, Prince Bran, as I believe you know him, is dead.' she said, in a sympathetic voice. My heart sank. 'No, your grace, I have received word from him just a moment ago' I pleaded, begging it not to be true. 'I shall not argue with you child, that letter is from an imposter,' she shouted, turning to walk away. 'I will, however, offer my greatest sympathies,' she added, exiting the courtyard, her maids following behind. 'This cannot be true. He is just a boy, barely a year younger than me.' I said to myself, a bitter tear rolling down my cheek.

I realised today was March 1st, so I knew all I could do was wait and see if my brother arrived. How could he be dead? Surely it would be Rickon and their newfound companions also? The letter stated that they were travelling, so how would Greywater Watch know if they had been killed? Too many unanswerable questions ran through my head and I ran back to my chamber.

The room suddenly seemed way to big for just me, even with all the expensive furniture and fabrics surrounding me. Sitting down on the bed, I re-read the letter. March 4th. It was only 3 days away. I curled my legs up around my chest and closed my eyes.

'Sansa! I'm here!' I heard Bran's voice call. I ran towards him as I saw Rickon jump out from behind him. I saw Hodor's familiar face, pushing the cart Bran was laying on, Osha, our kitchen maid from home and also a boy and girl, who didn't look much older than me. Both unarmed. I realised they must be Meera and Jojen. I put out my arms to reach for Bran as I awoke, breathing heavily. 'It was a dream,' I said, struggling for breath. It was light outside, so I got out of bed and dressed myself. One of my ladies had obviously put me in my bed clothes when she found me curled up in my day dress, and whoever it was had layed out a blanket over my vulnerable self. I wandered down the stairs, rubbing my tired eyes.

'Ah Sansa, you're here!' cried Joffrey, a cruel man that was wrongly made the King. 'Sit,' he ordered, as I took my usual place at the banquet table. 'I heard your poor brother was killed? How sad that must be for you. Oh well, I'm sure you will forget soon enough. After all you haven't seen him in what, 2 months?' he smirked. 'Yes, your grace. That's right,' I replied, an anger burning in my chest. I hated Joffrey. Many people did, but you could not show it, unless you had the armies, weapons and courage to go in to battle with him. I was powerless against him. Against his wicked ways. His words, his punishments, and his harsh, unnecessary beatings. I hoped I wouldn't be here for much longer, in his captivity, but making a daring escape was not something a girl like myself could do. I ate my food and talked to Joffrey and Cersei about my daily plans. I tried to be grateful I was dining, and living, with the King of the land. A chance many people would die for, but something I so desperately wanted to run away from.