Crystal's Wings

I live in a town where ice sculpting is very famous. Every winter we are celebrating an ice sculpting contest. And as a child I used to watch my dad compete in the yearly contest that is being held in our town. During those years he taught me a lot of things regarding ice sculpting techniques and tricks. But now, it will be my turn to compete and show them what i got. 

Im still working on my design for the upcoming event and the announced theme is "Wings." But I'm still not sure what design to make and I only got a month left before the contest's date.

"Jack honey, have you thought of the design you'll gonna do for the event?" My mom asked with her always worried look.

"Not yet mom, but I'm working on it tonight after I visit Dad." I said while packing my things and picked up my iPod.

"Take care honey and I hope you'll come up with a great piece, and please tell your dad I missed him." she said and kissed my cheek.

"I will mom. See you later." I replied as I picked my keys and walk out of the house towards the parking lot. I clambered inside of my car and play the music then I start driving.

As I reached the cemetery, my Dad's memories somehow started flashing back to me again. I missed hanging out with him, i missed our drinking nights and doing new ice sculpture designs. It is kinda sad he is gone already but i guess it is much better that he's resting and at peace than suffer more pain with his chemotherapy sessions.

I felt a tear slides down to my cheek so I wiped it with my thumb and knelt down in front of my Dad's tomb stone.

"Hey Dad its me, Jack. It's been awhile since I last visited you. Sorry that everyone in the house have been busy lately." I said while moving away some dried leaves on his tomb. Im talking by myself that if some people would see me they might think I already got a loosen screw in my head, but I don't care because I want to talk to my Dad and think that he is still here with me.

"Oh, and Mom said she misses you. I can still hear her crying every night, but I'm sure she'll be fine. Naomi and I were taking care of her all the time. And Naomi has been accepted to her dream university and decided to took up law major, she said she'll visit you after doing all her paper works. I believe she's seeing someone already Dad, my little sister is becoming a lady already. Don't tell her I told you about it." I chuckled and then let out a sigh then decided to lay down on the grassy surface around my Dad's grave.

"Hey Dad, I'll be joining this year's contest. Though I still don't have the design I'll try to figure it out soon. It would be easier if you're around." I paused and look at the bright blue sky and the soft fluffy looking white clouds drifting through the wind's blow.

"Jack." I heard someone called me. It's voice was calm and soothing.

"Jack." It called me again. I heard a fluttering sound behind me so I turned around and was taken aback to what I saw.

"Icy pixie, hello Jack." she said followed by her cute giggles. I furrowed and pinch my forearm to confirm if it was a dream. It hurts yet I can still see her in front of me floating like a ghost except those crystal wings she have.

She poked my cheek and flew a little further away from me. She giggled again, her smile is very mesmerizing. As she flies around me somehow I can see some sparkly things falling beneath her wings that looks like silver glitters but when I look on the ground i see nothing.

"Who are you?" I managed to asked still observing her every move. Her white soft hair follows her movements. Her pointed ears that moves as if being tickled when she giggles.

"My name is Crystal and I am your dad's ice fairy." she said flying toward my dad's tomb and resting her hands on it.

It took me a while to process what she just said. "Say what? You're a Fairy?" I asked confirming what I just heard.

"Yes I am a fairy. An Ice fairy to be exact." she said nodding and her brows moving up and down.

"Am I dreaming? Is this a prank?How can you be my dad's fairy and why?" I said still confused on what's going on.

She clears her throat and flew up and slowly went down to sat on my Dad's tomb stone. "I met your father thirty years ago. He was lost in our forest, at first we thought he's a bad human but then even though he was hungry he still manage to help an injured fawn instead of eating it. 

For every kind human in this earth we fairies are being assign as their guardians. And I was assigned to be your Dad's guardian. But now he's gone and your real fairy also died the Elders decided to let me be your substitute guardian." she tilted her head on the side looking at me wondering or waiting for my another question.

"Wait, how did I got my fairy but never had the chance to see it?"

"Good question. You've earn your fairy because you were helping the forest to survive through planting trees and the Elders saw that you were kind to animals. And that is why the Elders assigned Berry to be your fairy."

"And where is this Berry fairy? And who are the Elders you've been mentioning?" I asked still can't believe I'm getting involve with this magical weird stuff thing.

"Berry is your first fairy but she is no longer here with us because she died protecting you during your car accident last year. And the Elders are the first fairies ever existed in earth. We were created by God to be the guardians of humans. But as time passes by, humans became greedy and stupid that cause calamities and disasters. They destroy the nature and kill the animals even though they were aware of its effect to mother nature. That is why now, we vowed to only serve humans who cares and love the nature. People who aren't stupid enough to destroy their own home.

I felt bad knowing Berry, my first guardian fairy died and I never had the chance to see her. I'm not even aware that I have her. I wished I knew about it sooner so that I can thank her for saving me even though she's already gone.

"Actually you were able to see Berry before, but I think she decided to erased your memories of her so that you won't feel bad about her death. She knew your Dad is gone and it has been hard for you, that is maybe the reason she let you forget about her existence "

"This is absurd! I... I need to go home. These things are kinda hard to accept all at once. Erasing my memories without my permission is so unfair. It should be me, why did she sacrifice her life for me?'

"Fairies can exchange their lives to save their human friend. I know this is hard for you, but you'll be fine Jack. I will always be here for you Jack." she said flying near me and she kissed me on my forehead.

I opened my eyes and realized that I fell asleep in front of my Dad's grave. I remembered Crystal and as I touched my forehead where she kissed me, it was a bit cold and wet. I drove home still wondering if it was just a dream or it was real.

Few days had passed and I never saw Crystal again, even in my dreams. But I finally decided what design to make for the contest. I just hope things will work out well. I practiced a lot almost everyday for the event.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen, we all gathered here to celebrate our annual winter contest of ice sculpting. I can see a lot of new faces around here, oh well good luck everyone. The theme of our contest this year is "Wings" again good luck and let the battle begin." the emcee just finished his welcoming remarks and all of the candidates started doing their piece.

One hour had passed and all of us are done doing our piece. You can see different designs but mostly were bird designs. The announcing of the winner is next and I think I'll be deaf before that happens because my heart beat sounds so loud today.

"And now ladies and gentlemen for our winner of today's winter contest is... 

Jack Snow with his amazing Ice Fairy sculpture! Let's give him a round of applause everyone. " the emcee said and handed me the trophy.

I still can't believe I won. But in the middle of a noisy surrounding I heard someone.

"Icy pixie, congrats Jack." she said followed with a faint giggles.

I looked around and saw a girl in the audience. A human girl smiling in front of me.  

"Crystal?"