Chapter 4 - The Problem with Ghouls

Here is the next chapter, and I really hope that you enjoy it. I know that it is moving a little slow at this point, but it picks up in this chapter. Please like and comment. I would love to know what you think!

 Kiell's ears were ringing and there was a dull pain at the back of his head, but he couldn't remember why. He couldn't see anything either. He tried looking around, but everything was just grey and foggy. He tried walking, hoping he might come across something, anything that might give him some answers to what was happening, but even though his legs moved, he never went anywhere.

He couldn't remember anything. What was the last thing he had been doing? The harder he tried, the further away the memory slipped. Then there was something else. It almost sounded like a whisper. He turned around several times looking for the source, and straining his ears trying to hear it more clearly.

"Kiell, wake up". It was louder now, and sounded urgent, almost agitated.

"Talah?" He asked, almost sure he was hearing her voice, but he couldn't see her anywhere, and she sounded very far away.

"Yes, now wake up!" She was definitely agitated.

"Where are you? What's going on? Where am I?" He asked frantically. He felt out of control and confused.

"You're asleep, and you need to wake up. Now!" Wake up? Why was he asleep?

"I don't understand wh-"

"She's in trouble," she interrupted. "The girl, the one you are suppose to be saving, she knocked you out and ran, and now she's in trouble." The girl! He remembered now. He had startled her, and before he could talk to her, his vision had gone white and something had knocked him out.

"She's powerful, Kie, more powerful than I realized."

"My vision went white when I touched he-" He began to say, but she stopped him again.

"That doesn't matter right now" she exclaimed, and then, she was standing in front of him, faded and misty, like she was made of white smoke. "Someone followed you from Sar, and they know where she is. You need to wake up. Now!" And then she put her hand roughly to his head, and pushed, causing him to fall backwards.

The feeling of falling jolted him awake. He could feel a light layer of sweat on his forehead, and his heart was racing. The pain on the back of his head was more insistent now, and his eyes were sore, his vision a little blurry. He blinked several times until his vision returned to normal, and he realized he was in a room, sitting in a chair with his hands tied behind his back.

It was dark outside, so he was sure at least an hour had passed. Talah said she was in danger, and she had an hour head start on him. He closed his eyes and focused on the knot that was holding his wrists together. It would be too easy. Using air to untie knots was something he had mastered by the time he was four. He twisted the hair around his hands until it formed a thin, twisted cord, and then pushed it between the strands of rope until the knot loosened, and then fell away. He lept from the chair and bolted for the door, using the air to push it open before he reached it.

He paused for a moment, taking in the moon reflecting off the creek, and the heavy clouds that moved quickly across the sky. It would snow soon. He glanced up the hill that he had been standing on when he first spotted her, and could see his brown pack resting on the ground against a tree. Oh thank goodness he thought in relief. He was up the tree in a only a few seconds, grabbing the map from his pack, and opening it in a rush, almost tearing the paper.

He heard a noise from behind him, and turned quickly, raising his hands, instantly sending a wave of air forward like a shield. He quickly dropped it when he realized that it was Moro and Leena, whom both looked ragged and a little beat up.