Chapter 1:

In 4th grade, I didn't understand relationships, but what 9 year-old did? All I knew was that it was always mommies and daddies. I couldn't comprehend why I thought girls were pretty, and why I thought the boys were gross. It was too complicated for my young mind to know.

Waking up to the pale, black tinted light filtering through my windows this early Monday morning, I realize what I had been confused about. I take a deep breath, turning my head to look at the boxes lined up against the soon to be gray wall. Buckets of paint are scattered throughout the room, paintbrushes on top of them.

My dad just bought the home a week ago, and while we got all the big furniture moved in, we have yet to finish unpacking and painting and decorating. I grab my phone from the nightstand, a message from my brother, Grayson, lighting up the screen. A small smile grows on my face as I read it.

Hey, Blake. Hope your first day at Ridgeview is fun. Hope to see you here for Mom's birthday. Text me whenever

Yawning, I stand slowly, stretching my arms out like a cat, my light blonde and brown hair swaying against my back lightly. After throwing it in a quick knot, I grabs the first box from the stack and drops it on my bed, hoping it's my clothes. Luckily, it is.

I grab the first things I see, thankful for thinking ahead and putting it there last night. It's my favorite black skate skirt and my black and red striped long sleeve the just reaches the top of the skirt when I wear it.

I put them on, also grateful for having shaved my legs the night before, and go into the bathroom. I thoroughly brush my teeth, smiling and checking to make sure they're as clean as can be. Pleased with my work, I grab my makeup. After a light brown eye shadow and a bit of mascara and eyeliner, I grab my chapstick from the counter and go back to my room. I silently pray thanks to my dad for finding a house that gave me a personal bathroom.

I sit down to pull on my favorite black slip-on vans. I look at myself in the full length mirror and sigh. My hair is wavy right now, reaching my waist, and I debate cutting it. Instead, I decide against it, ruffle it so it has a bit of volume, and start criticizing the first day requirements.

The outfit is all right, but the person is not. I turn away to grab my headphones and phone, stuffing my cardigan in my gray messenger bag and slinging it over my shoulder. I quietly descend the stairs, doubting Dad's awake, and surprise myself when I see him sitting at the counter, breakfast plates in front of him.

"Dad? Why are you awake? Work isn't until 10 for you." He smiles and waves his hand at the chair, motioning for me to sit. I do.

"I do, but I didn't want to miss my baby's first day of senior year. I wanted to wish you good luck, even though I know you won't need it." I smile and grab his hand, squeezing it.

"Thank you, daddy. I'll do my best." He nods, drinking his coffee. I quickly scarf down the eggs, wishing I could brush my teeth again, and stand up to leave.

"Blake?" I turn around at the door and he tosses me the keys to the Jeep. I raise my eyebrows and look between him and the keys.

"What is this?.." he smiles and comes over to me.

"Now that you're a senior, I realize you're gonna want to start having a bit more freedom. So therefore.. this is your senior year present and your early birthday present. I'm getting a new car later today. I've already arranged the insurance and everything. We'll discuss it all after work." I smile and start squealing. I jump into his waiting arms, linking my arms around his neck in a hug that's probably suffocating him. I say my thousand thank yous and run into the garage, turning on the light and laughing at the sight.