Chapter Fourteen

Surprise! 

Like I said; I've got a handle of how this book is going to go and i couldn't be more excited! I apologize in advance for any mistakes. 

Happy reading. 

Can I get more comments than votes?

VOMMENT.

xxSummerxx

                                                           Recap

Ashley looks utterly confused, but she does the same. I lean forward and try to think of the right words—to cushion the bomb for my brain and Ashley’s sake.

            “Faye…” Ashley warns me, her voice now coming out uncertain and guarded.

            “Okay,” I state a little after her small voice, “Just—promise not to say anything until I’m done?”

            “You’re scaring me.” She ignores my previous statement.

            “Promise me first.” I press, my voice turning higher a notch.

            She looks at me hesitantly for a moment longer before sighing and bobbing her head up and down. “I promise.”

            My shoulders relax slightly as she says that and I move backwards slightly. As she waits I manage to come up with the most subtle way to say what I need to.

            “ Travis has a gun.”

                                                Chapter Fourteen

            You know that feeling where you feel there is something wrong with someone when they don’t respond the way you expect them to? It’s as if someone tells a person they are secretly a garlic repulsed bloodsucker and the person just laughs and goes in for a hug.

            Clear denial—Yet, it’s only really scary when that person is your friend.

            “Why aren’t you shocked?” I demand, confusion thoroughly laced in my voice.

            “Honestly,” Ashley shrugs, throwing me into an abyss of deeper frustration, “It doesn’t surprise me.”

            I feel my jaw drop slightly as I continue to stare.

            “What?” I start sarcastically, “The fact that he has a gun or the fact that he used it?”  

            “Both.” She states, clicking her tongue, “As unpredictable as he is, he’s pretty predictable.”

            I shake my head, “That makes absolutely no sense.”

            “It basically is my way of saying that people are so used to his unpredictability that it has becoming a habit.” She explains, weighing the outcomes professionally in her hands.

            I continue to stare at her incredulously, scrutinizing every detail of her face to justify her actions. There is seriously something wrong with her.

            “Can you not stare at me like I’m some sort of freak?” Ashley interrupts, raising an eyebrow pointedly.

            “I—I,” I relax my squinty eyes and slump, trying to piece this together, “How are you okay with this?”