Chapter Three

Carla's to the right.

________________________________________________________

Listen...

Listen...

LISTEN!!!

Do you hear them?

I can...

They're singing....

They're whispering...

They're close...

They're everywhere...

Help...

I can't escape them...

NO ONE CAN...

                                                 ✾ ✾ ✾

When I left Mr. Dupre's office with my new clothes in hand and a page full of rules, I noticed that the hallways were empty. I looked both ways, biting my lip as I tried to remember which way I had come. They both looked the same, so I began to move my legs and feet in the right direction.

I turned a corner and dropped my clothes when I ran right into Joy... Oh... Joy...

She seemed to let out a growl as she stumbled back a little, "Watch yourself, Ella." I narrowed my eyes at the way she said my name as if she was taunting or challenging me. I bent and picked up my clothes just as she bumped past me and walked away.

I bit my lip as I called out, "Hey! Um... Is this the right way to the girl's dormitory?" She stopped in her tracks and turned on her heel. I should have took her crooked smile as she flipped her pony tail held black hair over her shoulders as she chuckled.

"Of course it is..." With that, she turned and left. I sighed as she disappeared around the corner I took and held my clothes tightly to my chest as I continued to walk down the hallway to the dormitory.

I eventually saw the end of the hallway, but when I turned to inspect what should have been my room, I noticed a sign hanging above my head. "Boys Dormitory," It read. I groaned softly to myself; after all that walking, I had to go back the other way. This was turning out to be a fine and dandy day.

I looked to my left when I heard walking and I tentively spoke, "Um, could you by any chance help me to the girls dormitory?" I froze. So did the person.

Black hair... Tall... Bracelets littering his arms... And his face. How could I ever forget his beautiful face?

Before I could utter a word to him, he turned on his heels and briskly walked back where he had came. I quickly followed him, tears appearing in my eyes as I rounded a corner to see that he had disappeared. He really did hate me... Why was he even here of all places? Did he find someone else to protect?

The thought made me numb and hollow as my nails found my arms, scratching at the wounds that were already there. Was there something wrong with me? Of course there was something wrong with me. Who was I kidding..?

It was like a cold feeling was settled in my heart at seeing him. I hated my mind with a passion at that moment, because I knew that he was nothing more than a hallucination... An illusion that left me bitter, yet wanting more of it.

My eyes were glazed as I finally came across the girls dormitory. I slowly opened my door and had to shield my eyes from how bright the room was, snapping me out of my self pity, "Care! What the hell is this?!"