Chapter 25--A Couple of Firsts and Also Some Lasts

Done! *Throws hands up into the air* What's my time?

It's true. I've finished the whole story. It's 28 chapters, 67,500 words. My goal of finishing a book (any book) has been accomplished! Until last July, I never thought I could do it and since then it's only my perseverence that has made it happen. I am so freaking excited. Anyway, I'm a little torn about whether I should post it all at once (I didn't want to post any of it to make sure I had all the details and plot points wrapped up completely. I did have to go back a few times to add things, so it's good I did.) or draw it out and post one chapter at a time for the next three weeks. Read to the end of this chapter to see what I've decided.

            The answers did not come and the days shimmied by, like hot oil dripping from a bottle. No sooner had she gotten up and dressed, it seemed that it was once again time to get back in bed, one more day gone before the coming of her future husband.

            Spring took a firm grip on the landscape, sending trees into blossom, but more importantly, drying the roads. Seniore Machiavelli wore a wide smile whenever he updated Gabriella and Will on the Duke D’Urbino’s rapid progress. Will had no doubt that the man was counting the hours until his beloved Italian provinces were united. The first step of many.

            As the time slipped by, their research hastened and lagged, depending on whether Will was feeling hopeless or not. One afternoon, they went into the kitchens and tried commanding the pots to make Will human in every combination of words they could think of, which entertained the kitchen staff.

If the king heard about the escapade, he kept silent, as he had toward Gabriella from the day she had learned of her betrothal. Since learning of the queen’s pregnancy, though, his silence was different. Gabby would sometimes watch him during dinner. He sunk into his own thoughts often, disappointing the courtiers hoping to make him laugh or say anything at all. His thoughts did not seem troubling, just absorbing.

Will’s emotions reminded him of the time he tried to saddle an unbroken horse. More than once, his ribs were sore from thinking of what may never be. Other times, he was sure that the next thing they tried would be it.

Three days before the anticipated arrival of the duke, and near the end of their reading materials, they ran across the story of the seven eagles. Seven princes—brothers—were turned into eagles by their wicked stepmother.

“Of course it was the stepmother,” said Will, wrinkling the skin above his eyes. “It always is.”

            Their sister had escaped being transformed. One day she found them and wished aloud that they were human again, which instantly produced the change.

            “Let’s try it now!” said Gabby. “Maybe you never transformed because someone else had to wish it out loud. Why did I never think of this?”

            Will shrugged. “It’s worth a shot.” He straightened his posture and looked intently up at Gabby’s rosy cheeks and tumbling auburn hair. “Okay,” he breathed, “Go for it.”

            “I wish you were human again.”

            Nothing happened. Not even a draft disturbed the stillness. Will raised what would have been an eyebrow if he’d had them.

            “Maybe I need to use the exact words of the story,” she said. Taking the book in her hands, and feeling a little silly she read out, “I hope that he will be set free.”

            Still nothing.

            “Maybe it’s because you don’t mean it enough,” said Will. He couldn’t meet her eyes, afraid she would read his thoughts. Maybe it’s easier for her if I stay a frog, or maybe she doesn’t care about me at all.