Detached Attachment

Eight months.

That's how long it's been since we left the farm and have been on the run. We haven't found anything that suggested it could be a safe and permanent place.

At least not safe enough to have a baby and nuture it in the first few months of it's life.

We had fallen into this simple routine as we moved through each town. We would find a house, clear it, scout the surrounding neighborhood to stock up the back of the SUV and truck with food, weapons, and ammo before we went back to the house we cleared, we made camp there for the night, and then we'd move to the next town and do the exact same thing.

It was a never ending cycle.

That's exactly what we were doing right now. We had just cleared the house and those who couldn't scout for food and weapons, stayed in the house to set up camp for the night. This time the ones that scouted were Daryl, Rick, T-Dog, Glenn, Maggie, and I. We separate into groups of two as we search the houses as the odd pair out, which this time happened to be T-Dog and Maggie, round the cars to pull up to the houses we were raiding.

I pair up with Glenn as we enter one of the houses. I motion for him to take the downstairs as I search the upstairs for walkers and hidden weapons. I creep up the stairs and the first thing I see is a walker.

I grab the handle of Hierarch, pulling it from its holster. As I get closer to the top of the stairs, I place it back in the holster. The walker was very much alive but it was hanging from the bathroom doorway. It was a woman who had hung herself when she was human but still turned.

I grab my small knife from my boot and stab the walker in between it's eyes. It's movements cease as I pull the blade from it's head. I cut the rope that held it's body captive in a hanging position. I push the body back in the bathroom before closing the door.

Before I turn for the next door, something etched on the wall catches my eye.

Got bite. I ain't gonna be one of those damned things.

I run my finger over the etched words. It must've been recently that the women got bit because there was still wet blood in the words when she carved it.

I continue my search of the upstairs. Most of the other rooms were clean but the room at the far end of the hall was locked. I assumed it was the master bedroom but I was puzzled. Why would someone lock one room and not the rest?

I came to the conclusion that there must be something valuable in there and since that women was dead, she wouldn't need it. It could help my group survive. I back away from the door before kicking it by the handle.

I could hear the sound the lock starting to break. I kick it once more and it bursts open, slamming against the opposite wall. I search the dressers and night stands to come up with nothing but one somewhat old blunt.

That certainly can't be what she was hiding, not one stupid blunt. I get on my hands and knees, peering under the bed. There was two medium sized boxes and a large one. As I pulled them out, I realized they were full of weapons and ammo.

The first two medium sized boxes were filled with ammo and different types of hunting knives. The large one was full of different types handguns like the CZ 75, Glocks, and a T/C Contender were in one compartment of the container. The second compartment was full automatics short/lomng range and rifles like M-16's, AK-47's, M-14's, and the various sizes of AR-15's.

"Glenn, get your ass up here." I yell down to him.

I hear him sprint up the stairs. We had been running low on weapons and ammo because the last couple neighborhoods we raided, we ended up coming up empty handed in the weapons department.