The thing they call "DATE"

Yes, Hugh did not see this one coming. First, Sadie was just a very, very good person, who was kind enough to show him around the campus and who ended up as his lab partner. Now, he feels weird whenever she's around. She was a friend whom he'd walk home, nothing more.

" Sadie is your friend. Nothing more." Hugh would repeat this in his head over and over again.

But even though how many times he would repeat this, the words become useless whenever Sadie would turn up and stay beside him. He loves to hear her giggles, squeals and laughter. But whenever she was down, she would just lie on the shoulder of Hugh until his sleeve is soaked in tears. Hugh liked the way her hair was tied to a messy ponytail, with little strands falling to the side of her ears. And her eyes, when they are tired from hours and hours of studying. And Hugh wanted to do something for her. But what?

" Sadie?"

"hmm?" Sadie glanced as she watched the runners on the field.

" Can I ask you something?" Hugh choked on that question.

" Of course. Anything. As long as it is not related to Math. I suck at it."  she squinted as the ray of the afternoon sun hit her eyes.

" Of course it's not related to Math." Hugh chuckled. " Just something I hope you're gonna like."

" Is it a puppy?" she clapped her hands in a giddy way.

" Uh, no. But something you can digest." Hugh replied, somehow disgraced at his answer.

" Oh. Food?" Sadie guessed.

" Yes! Something like that." Hugh was so nervous he could run faster than the runners on the field. His palms were getting sweaty.

" Is it like, a date?" she guessed again.

" Do you call it like that?" Hugh was blushing hard, laughing that crooked smile.

" Yeah." she said, turning her head back to the field.

" Because I would like to ask you if you would go out on a 'date' with me." the words were effortlessly spoken, like someone from a book.

" Yeah, I wanna go out with you." she said, smiling. As if she waited for that question. Well, maybe she did.

" YES!" Hugh jumped up and down the bleachers.

" Sit down!" Sadie pulled him down. " Don't make me take out that mask."

Wow. That was a threat. The same she uses that will always work. the same threat she uses to discipline him in a way. And she always wins.

" Hugh, Don't look sad. You know, I will never take out that mask from you. Only someone without a heart will. and trust me, I have one." she said, feeling a little guilty.

" Good to know I have a friend." Hugh smiled.

" So, you asked me out , huh?" Sadie shrugged. " I was thinking you'd never ask."