Chapter 26

*Long ass chapter coming your way*

"I'm Jesus Christ, whether you want to accept it or not, I don't care."

-Charles Manson, "Helter Skelter", is an American criminal and former cult leader who led what became known as the Manson Family. Manson's followers committed a series of nine murders. He was found guilty of conspiracy to commit the murders of seven people – most notably of the actress Sharon Tate – all of which were carried out by members of the group at his instruction. He is currently serving nine concurrent life sentences at Corcoran State Prison in Corcoran, California.

Chapter 26

Hastily shoving the paper, my keys and an old recorder, one that was gifted to me when I turned thirteen, into a small bag, I hurried to ready myself, knowing that I only had a few more hours of daylight before the prison was closed off to everyone but the few unlucky guards on their night shift. I changed out of my tracksuits and into my work clothes, rubbing the remanets of tears from my eyes on the leg of the pants before throwing it into the washing basket. As my gaze passed to my mirror, I realised that no item of clothing could cover up the foul emotions that had been brewing inside of me like a witches cauldron, just waiting for a moment to explode and obliterate everything in its path. My eyes were sunken as if someone had pushed them into my skull, blackened with lack of sleep and rotten tears, and my hair was slicked back with oil and sweat. I grumbled and pulled it into a tight ponytail, clumsily slapping my oily face with a layer of foundation.

Once I was satisfied that my inner demons were back to being hidden beneath my flesh, I shuffled into the hallway. As if a motion sensor was triggered, my mother came rushing out of the kitchen, limbs and hair flying about in all directions.

"E-Emily! I'm so glad you're up! Can I get you anything? Make you a tea? Oh! I'll make you a tea, yes, you're favourite tea." The words tumbled out of her mouth as she rushed towards me and enveloped me in a body-squashing hug.

When she pulled back and began to caress my face with her hands, I gave her a small smile and shook my head.

"I'm sorry, Mum, but I can't. I need to go into work." I said softly. Her face fell; she looked like someone had cracked an egg over her head.

"Work? But honey, your father doesn't want you working for him anymore. There is nothing for you to do." She said sternly.

She sounded hurt, angry even, that I had mentioned it and took a large step back from me. Upon hearing his name, my stomach turned, and I suddenly had the urge to vomit out all the hate and rage I felt all over my mother, but she didn't deserve that.

"I know, Mum. I'm not going in for anything official, I just..." I paused and licked my teeth, searching for a lie, "I just need to finalise a few documents which will remove my name from their register and all. You know, they need to take me off their payroll."

"Can't your father do that, honey?" She said, sounding slightly suspicious.

Of course, she had every right to be. I wasn't going in for the papers, which I'm sure had already been dealt with; I was going in to find that Russian guard, Alexi, and accuse him of being in the brotherhood.

"He can. But I would like to do it. I need some fresh air, you know?" I fidgeted with my bag and tried to sound as honest as possible. Everything I said was true, I was just withholding some details... some very important details.

"Okay," She said, keeping one sceptical eye trained on my face, "but I expect you to be home by dinner. I want us to talk."

She leaned forwards and kissed my cheek lightly, as if I was a piece of glass, waiting to shatter.