Chapter 45. Secrets of Ilyd Alarch.

The heart will break, but broken live on. ~ Lord Byron.

Chapter 45.

Secrets of Ilyd Alarch.

Beatrice was very curious about these seven keepers of Ilyd Alarch, and she knew they were terribly curious about her, for many times her diligent nurses shooed away one or two of the hopeful brothers who wanted to catch a glimpse of the strange visitor.

Two days after she had been brought to the home, Beatrice was deemed well enough and strong enough to get out of bed. She would have left long before, but found herself overpowered by the concerned ladies of the house.

They now led her to the kitchen, which also served as the dining room. Beatrice had to admit it was one of the most cozy places she had ever seen. Having grown up among mansions and fine homes, the rustic, wooden feel of the cottage was new to her. All the furniture was made of wood, most of it a fine, firm oak, but there was pine as well. Beautiful carvings engraved the table, the chairs, the cabinets, the doors and windows. A long, oak table stood in the corner, and seven men sat around it. Tall as trees and strong as oxen, they were a force that Beatrice felt no one would want to reckon with. Their faces were pleasant, however, though not completely similar. Three were blonds and four had black hair. The eye colors ranged from Light grey to dark brown. Still, even with their difference, it was easy to tell that they were brothers. They all stood when the ladies led Beatrice in.

"Beatrice," Aerone introduced before Ceinwen could. "These are the Lloyd brothers. Alwyn is the eldest, then comes Berwyn, Caerwyn, Delwyn, Emlyn, Ffransis, and Glyndwr. Brothers, this is Beatrice Morton."

The men nodded to her, each studying her curiously.

"It is quite a mouthful of names," Beatrice giggled as she took her seat at the table between Ceinwen and Blodeuyn. "I don't think I shall remember them all."

"Oh, but it is easy," Ceinwen replied. "They are in alphabetical order. Alwyn is of course the eldest, who sits at the head of the table, the rest always sit according to their age, thus it's all about knowing A, B, C, D, E, F, G: Alwyn, Berwyn, Caerwyn, Delwyn, Emlyn, Ffransis and Glyndwr. What is more the first four rhyme, and I always found it a great pity that the last three don't. Ah well. If you haven't noticed, alphabetical order runs in us wives as well. Aerona is married to Alwyn, Blodeuyn to Berwyn, and I, Ceinwen, am the wife of Caerwyn. You are Beatrice...perhaps you could change your name to fit whichever of the others you prefer."

The men all burst out laughing, Beatrice gazed, embarrassd and shocked, at Ceinwen, while Blodeuyn shook her head in dismay.

"Really, Caerwyn, what a silly wife you have picked for yourself. Doesn't know a thing about keeping her mouth shut. Alwyn, you are the eldest here, order her to silence before she scares poor Beatrice away."

Everyone laughed at this, and Beatrice tried to hide her embarrassment and everyone else tried to pretend that they had never noticed it.

"So, Miss Morton," one of the brothers said. (Silently Beatrice counted and figured it must be Ffransis, for he fifth from the top and second from the bottom.)"What secret is it that makes you to hide yourself? Our sisters-in-law have sworn us to complete secrecy, and while we have kept our promise we are still curious."

A small smile graced Beatrice's lips. "I am not a fugitive hiding from the law," she stated with a soft laugh. "Nothing quite so dramatic. Rather, I am hiding from my mother."

The entire lot at the table could not hide their surprise.

"From your own mother?" The fourth from the top and third from the bottom ("Delwyn", Beatrice guessed) prodded.