Johnlock Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Heather Proudman

John shivered, the crime scene was freezing and Sherlock had dragged him out of the door before he had a chance to pick up his coat. He glared at the back of the consulting detectives head and sighed irritably. Just one lazy day, surely that wasn't too much to ask? Sherlock was rambling off his deductions to Lestrade who was looking at the body and listening intently. John tried to focus on what he was saying but he was far too tired and cold to get anywhere with it. He glanced balefully at the long coat Sherlock always wore. It was pulled tight around his frame and looked quite warm and snug. Suddenly, quite without warning, Sherlock stopped mid-deduction, span round, pulled his coat off and wrapped it around John's shoulders. John's eyes widened in surprise.

"What was that for?"

Sherlock muttered "Looked cold." Then went back to listing his observations to a shocked DI who also looked rather smug. John suspected a bet was involved in his smugness and made a mental note to talk to him later. After returning Sherlock's coat of course. And that led him back to the question at hand. What exactly just happened? John tried to calm himself inconspicuously. Ok, so Sherlock just gave you his coat. Since when does he are about other people's health? Also wasn't he now cold, with only his scarf? John bit his lip. Yeah, he was. You could probably see the goosebumps on his arms a mile away. He frowned. Then why lend John his coat if he was going to be cold? There was really only one answer to this. He cared. At least, he cared a little bit. Enough to lend him his coat to keep him warm. John smiled a bit at that. Sherlock Holmes, caring for another human. It was a rather odd though. And one John was quite happy with. Sherlock had finished with his deductions and now was answering a few questions from Lestrade, who kept glancing at John, still looking rather smug. Sherlock, John noticed, glanced up at John very briefly, with a look of concern on his face. It was a well hidden look but John knew him well enough to spot it. The look was only there for a split second, then John smiled at him. And the look vanished and a small smile of relief took it's place. He looked back at Lestrade, answered one last question and then walked up to John.

"Okay?"

John smiled "Fine."

"Good. Home?"

John nodded, "In a moment." He pulled the coat off of himself and wrapped it back around Sherlock. He frowned.

"But now you're cold."

John smiled. "I'll be fine."

Sherlock shook his head. "It's below freezing. Here."

He pulled the coat off again and offered it to John, who shook his head. It's your coat. You wear it."

Sherlock sighed and, before John had the chance to protest again, wrapped the coat around John. "I'll be fine until we get to the taxi."

John frowned. "Fine. But if you get a cold, don't go blaming me."

Sherlock chuckled softly and started walking towards the road. "Come on then."

John jogged to catch up, then matched his pace to Sherlock's. They walked in companionable silence until the reached the taxi that was waiting for them. As they climbed in Sherlock reached over and pulled John close to him. John stiffened (No not in that way... So dirty-minded  ) "What are you doing?" He asked, painfully aware of Sherlock's warm leg pressed up against his own.

"Shhh." Came the reply. A second later an arm snaked it's way around his waist and he felt Sherlock's head rest on top of his own.

"No. Really. What are you doing?"

"It's for warmth." He said, like it was the simplest thing in the world. Like it wasn't at all odd for flat mates to, essentially, cuddle in the back of a taxi.