3: Quidditch Try-Outs

Anthea did not appear to notice a change in Remus' attitude the next day. He felt resentful, awful, ill to the bone and was constantly shivering when no breeze blew. She only smiled contently, rubbing his shoulder whenever this happened. They were walking down to Defense Against the Dark Arts, taught by the bubbly Professor Melody Morris, when Anthea suddenly stopped in her tracks.

"What class do we have?" she asked urgently, still standing, frozen, on the bottom step of the marble staircase.

"DADA." Remus told her quietly, already at the bottom himself.

"I--I have to go see Dumbledore," she cried softly, as if she was just remembering something important she had almost forgotten. Running back up the marble staircase, she called over her shoulder, "I'll see you after class--in Muggle Studies!"

Bewildered, Remus continued on his way, barely arriving before Professor Morris closed the door. He went to sit by Lily in the front of the room; she looked thankful as she scooted over, allowing him to sit in between herself and James.

"Where's Anthea?" James whispered out of the corner of his mouth, just as Professor Morris flipped her vibrant red hair and began the lesson.

"Hey, y'all!" Morris said excitedly. "Filius--I mean, Professor Flitwick--told me that you guys were all, like, learning the theory of Patronus Charms in Charms. So, we're going to be practicing! It might take a while, by the end of class, most of you will only be able to produce a bit of blue mist."

Lily smiled, a smile that almost resembled a smirk, because she knew she would not be one of them.

"Anthea said she had to speak to Dumbledore--said she'd see us in Muggle Studies," Remus hissed back, seeing a break in Morris' monologue.

"So, we're, like, going to practice! Now, I'm reminding you that it's different performing a Patronus in the class, and preforming it in real life. Very different. Well, let's start!" Morris continued.

As she set the students into pairs, James replied softly to his friend:

"You did tell Anthea that Sirius, Peter, you or I actually don't take Muggle Studies? Neither does Lily, or Alice."

"Well, I guess that means she had to drop Ancient Runes or something useless--I wish I had done the same."

Remus wished this for two reasons: one, he would not have to listen to Professor Vector constantly reprimanding him in the only subject Remus was not good at; secondly, Remus would at least be with Anthea. Now, he was stuck with grumpy, old Professor Vector and no Anthea.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was exciting, as they continued to work on their Patronus Charms. Remus' wasn't quite visible, but he was well ahead of three quarters of the class. James and Sirius weren't far behind him, because DADA was one of the only subjects they applied themselves to. Lily, of course, had already produced a beautiful doe and made it gallop across the room.Remus admired it enviously, his thoughts drifting against his better intentions.

* * * * * * * * * * * 

Anthea hurried up the stairs to the Headmaster's Office. The gargoyles, after she shot them a nasty look, sprang aside for her, recognizing her face. She thanked them softly and continued up the spiral steps, knocking on the gold door at the top.

"Come in," Dumbeldore beckoned.

She obeyed. Biting her lip as she sat down in the armchair in front of Dumbledore's desk, she tried to stop breathing so heavily. Her run around Hogwarts had greatly winded her.

"You forgot to come see me, didn't you, Miss Gray?"

Anthea winced guiltily.

"I did," she admitted. "I was halfway to Defense Against the Dark Arts before I remembered that... well, you know..." she finished lamely.