England, 1492

Chapter 2

England, 1492

It had been two years since Katerina and I had been banished from Bulgaria. Two years of being orphans in the cruel world, and two years reflecting back on the memories of that night. My actions haunted me everyday, but that was a small fraction of all the hardships we faced. Struggles and obstacles that seem unresolvable. Our troubles began merely five days after we left our home village when a group of traveling bandits ransacked our carriage, leaving us with the clothes on our back and a handful of gold. That went quickly as we continued on foot to Kavala, Greece. We worked temporary jobs along the way to feed ourselves and sleep in actual beds, because when times got rough we were forced to sleep on the cold, rigid forest floor or in the small village alleyways. Mattew stayed with us through the hardest of times, supporting us in towns where the only jobs a woman could possess was stripping for the men who only thought we were put on Earth for their sheer pleasure. Ofcourse, Katerina and I did our fair share of dancing and stripping along the way. Secretly, I did enjoy the attention of some of the men, but I never told Katerina that.

When we reached the port at Kavala, we applied for jobs on a passenger vessel voyaging to Essex, England. I was assigned to the nightly entertainment due to my dancing skills and the fact that I knew how to handle people. Katerina was given the job of seamstress where she fixed all the passengers and servants clothes. Our jobs fit us well. Katerina's innocenese would be a liabilty in the casino room and me being in a silent room with a needle would indeed be the definition of hell for me. Mattew also accompanied us on the boat ride as an engineer mechanic. During our voyage, we spent long nights fighting the rough, vessel shaking waves and tiring days obliging to every passengers' request. Though the journey was hard, it all became worth it when we reached Essex.

In the beginning of our stay, we were forced out of an alley and into a shelter center for the youth. It was no beautiful log cabin in the secluded woods but it was a known place of safety. It was also the place where all our friendships were formed. The other shelter residents took us in with open arms and showed us around. Every afternoon they would take us to the Mikaelson Estate. The estate had a large pond with beautiful flowers embellishing its banks. The shelter kids said when we first went was that it was once a dirt hole with dead surroundings, but turned into the majestic sight it was then the Mikaelsons moved into the mansion four years before. I knew why they found it as such a symbol for hope. They saw that if something so damaged could be turned into something so beautiful with a little helping hand they could too. So everyday for two years, no matter the weather, our group would take the mile hike up to the estate, and on most days, we saw two men and a woman outside, drinking what looked like red wine.

One day in late January of 1492 when I was bedridden, Mattew and the others went to visit the frozen pond, and they left Katerina behind to take care of me because I was her responsibility. I had caught a small cold from the freezing weather, leaving me in the bed for several days. I was cooped up and I hated every minute, but Katerina, the solitary not bothering her, stayed beside me. That was when she still cared about others.

As the days passed on, the group never returned sending Katerina in a state of worry. She ached to search for the lost residents, but she knew she couldn't leave my side. Finally when a week passed with no sign of their return, I faked being better to ease Katerina's nerves. In reality, I was worse than ever, but I managed to tred out of bed and onto the trail to the estate.

"This was a terrible idea," Katerina said as we stopped for the fifth time so I could regain my breath. " I should have never let you out of that bed."

"To late now, Cousin." I smiled back at her. She escorted me to the front of the mansion and with a little persuasion let me climb the step of the porch alone. I was beyond grateful to have a little control back in my life.