Chapter Nineteen

***************************************Roxanne***************************************

“Hey,” I said looking out at everyone. “I’m Roxanne Monet, and I’m new to teaching so I guess I should start with rules,” I said singing the things Erik made me practice all night. Well, for like an hour or two. “Rule number one, everyone is expected to do a two minute sole piece which we will critic collectively, and all the other crap in your syllabus,” I said putting down my chalk and pulling up a seat.

It was nice to have Stark in my first class. At least I knew I could get an easy laugh if things got out of hand. “Um, since I’m new let’s get to know each other. Tell me your name and your favorite color,” I said looking around the circle of chairs. “I’ll start. I’m Roxanne and my favorite color is gold, pretty ironic hunh?” I asked getting a little chuckle from everyone.

“I’m Kramisha, and mi favurite colur is purple,” she said with a smile.

“You’re a singer right?” I said noting the rasp in her voice.

“Yep,” she smiled.

“Why haven’t you tried an instrument?” I asked her.

“How do you know that?” Stark asked before Kramisha could answer.

“I know music and I know what an instrument does to the body and spirit, like you,” I said turning to him. “You’re hands say you’re a bass player, and your eyes say you’re a singer, but your lips say not really,” I said getting a laugh from everyone.

“Way to make fun of me,” Stark laughed.

“What can I say,” I shrugged turning my attention back to Kramisha, “How come you haven’t tried an instrument yet?” I asked again.

 “I never had the time or money,” she shrugged.

I went back to the closet of instruments they had and found the right size guitar for her. “Try this guy out,” I said instructing her on the right way to hold it. “Just play,” I said as she stared at me.

“But I don’t know how?” she protested.

“You know how to use your hands. Just do what you think you should,” I said watching her. Kramisha played a lovely harmony that was sweet and slow. It kindda sounded like a lullaby. “Sing,” I said seeing the words forming in her head.

**

“That was the best music class ever,” Stark said standing at my desk after class. He and Kramisha really enjoyed class.

“Do you think everyone else liked it?” I asked feeling a little self-conscious.

“I think they did,” he shrugged.

“Dey bettah had,” she added. “Dat was da best class eva,” she smiled at me.

“Thanks, Mesh,” I said getting ready for my next class.

“Eat lunch wit me and Shuanee,” Kramisha said before walking out with Stark.

“Um, okay,” I shrugged. 

***************************************Zoey*****************************************

“How was your class with Roxanne?” I asked Stark who was attacking his food like a savage wolf.

“It was really good, Erik was right she’s way more talented than that show last night. Though, if she did something like that in class I wouldn’t complain,” he smiled at me.

“I don’t think she’s that into you,” I said nudging my head over to Roxanne. She, Damien, Erik, Kramisha, and Shuanee were at the small round table behind us. Erik wasn’t being as discrete as he had hoped about displaying his feelings for her, but he was a pretty good actor. I wouldn’t think he was attracted to Roxanne from the look he was giving her.

“Can you please get out of my way,” Aphrodite hissed at Stevie Rae, Rephaim, and Erin.

Erin was looking at Shaunee who was talking to Stevie Rae. I still didn’t understand why the twins weren’t talking to each other. Shaunee and Erin were soul mates, and their quarrel was putting a damper on everyone.

“What is Damien doing with Erik it’s just not natural,” Aphrodite said digging into her salad she also had mineral water and an apple to accompany her meal.

“A lot of things are unnatural,” Erin said looking at Shaunee, who was laughing at something Roxanne had said. She and Roxanne looked like best friends.

“If you want Shaunee back why don’t you just talk to her? It’s not like they’re stealing her from you,” Aphrodite said trying to reason with her.

“I don’t care about Shaunee, and I shouldn’t be the one to say something, she’s the one that changed,” Erin said repeating herself once again.

“If one of you doesn’t say something soon you two will never get past this,” Stevie Rae said.

“Wouldn’t bother me,” Erin mumbled and we all knew it was a lie.

“We both know you miss your lover,” Aphrodite teased.

“Not as much as you Aphrodiky.”

“Whatever,” she shrugged giving up.