Love is Meaningless?

I threw my long brown locks behind as the breeze blew against me making my skin tingle. I was walking halfway across the field with the both of my hands occupied with books and research samples for Biology Class. It was unexpectedly windy today but I suppose is it because a special day is coming soon?

It's Valentine's Day tomorrow.

I don't particularly understand why Valentine's Day even exists. To me, Love is definitely meaningless. One day, loving someone will only get you hurt and a part of you will always remain in the past. That's what I think. I guess Love is rather scary to me.

One day, if someone asks me who do I have in mind, or if I have ever had a crush, I probably can't give them an answer. Looking back at how my best friend cried over the phone when she and her first love had just broken up and how my sister yelled all night at her boyfriend, I'm pretty sure I'm traumatized by Love. 

I'm not the kind of person who would do something as to hurt myself, I'm comfortable in the life I'm living right now and I definitely don't want to jeopardize my own precious life. At this point, I'm going to use a hipster reference. YOLO right? You can't afford to get depressed and sad over a boy. It's all just so silly to me.

I guess that...

In this life, I definitely will never fall in love. 

Or will I?

-

"Vanessa, come on, let's go for dinner already." my sister Lauren has knocking violently on my door while whining about how hungry she is for the past 10 minutes. "If you don't open up in 10 seconds, I'm breaking this door down!" she hissed. 

I grabbed my tattered sheets of notes which was lying all across my bed and shoved them into my file before heading for the door despite how much I didn't want to get out of my room for dinner. I could tell how done Lauren was with me by the look she gave me when the door slide open. I was trying my best not to burst out laughing in public, instead I looked like a squealing seal, holding in my laughter.

"Make my life easier, would you!" she sighed as we both rushed down towards the cafeteria.

My sister and her boyfriend Austin have been dating even before they both enrolled in McGill's University. I have always curious about how they managed to stay together so long especially when there are so many thirsty girls here willing to flung themselves onto guys. Sigh. Also, if loving someone would only get yourself hurt, why is my sister willing to risk herself for that? Isn't love supposed to be scary?

"Lauren, how is it with Austin?" I popped the sudden question. Lauren was schocked by it too, judging by her expression. She pondered about it for a moment before replying me.

"You're so starting to sound like Mom. Anyways isn't it about time you get yourself a boyfriend? You're not getting younger any time soon." My sister said, avoiding my question. I glanced away for a moment before she spoke again.  "I know what you're thinking. It's not scary to fall in love, you know. It's great having someone by your side and someone who sees your flaws but regards them as perfections nonetheless. Not everything revolves around Science. You should try falling in love. " my sister advised, carefully choosing her words. 

I took the right turn towards the library to get a copy of Professor Hemmings' "Mind of a Human Part 1" for the week's assignment research and to get a photocopy of my notes. Putting my head to what I've just been told, Lauren was right nonetheless. I'm not getting any younger. But ever since I enrolled in University, I never really felt an attraction to anyone. It might actually be harder than she thinks it is. Lately, I've found myself thinking of love quite a lot.