~ Chapter 7 ~

Jasmine's POV

Oh my goodness! My little Brianna is all grown up! She's in love! Wait, she's older than me by four months. Oh well.

I finished adding the shadows and highlights to my lightning drawing. I had to admit, it was pretty good. Suddenly, I got an idea.

"Hey Bree?" I chirped.

Brianna's head snapped up from the book she had been engrossed in, and her forest green eyes landed on me.

"Hmm?" she mumbled.

"Do you want to go down to the boys' quar-" I began.

"YES!" Brianna interrupted.

I smirked, I had a feeling she would like my idea. I waited for her to get ready and made a mental list of what I figured she would do... which she did exactly.

First, she took her hair out of the pigtails and brushed it out so it cascaded down her shoulders. Then she ransacked the dresser for something nicer to wear. She quickly changed into a plaid shirt and black pants. I had a feeling she didn't want to wear a t-shirt and ripped up jeans to see her 'true love.'

She raced down the hall, dragging me behind her. Man, this girl must really be anxious. As soon as we got inside, I spotted Elliot and the whitish-haired boy from earlier. The boy's eyes drifted up to mine and he blushed slightly. His eyes were the lightest green I had ever seen, and they sparkled intelligently. He seemed interesting... I wonder what his name is.

I tore my eyes away from him, but I could still feel his gaze upon me. I ignored it the best I could as I listened to Elliot and Brianna's conversation.

"So, um, Brianna, what do you like to do?" Elliot asked sheepishly, his head down and his brown hair in his eyes.

"I'm obsessed with reading," she replied boldly.

"That's cool! I'm more of a writer than a reader."

Brianna grinned and kept talking and smiling and laughing with Elliot.

I've never seen this outgoing side of her. This boy must be good for her! The two of them walked to one of the beds and plopped down next to each other. They seemed transfixed with each other and totally immersed in a conversation, so I figured I'd just let them be.

I sat criss-cross-applesauce on the wooden ledge of the beautiful bay window that almost every room had. The clouds were fluffy and white, and floated idly in the cheery blue sky. Darn, this is no fun to paint. I'll just wait until sunset.

"Whatcha doing?" a voice inquired, breaking me away from my observing.

I looked up, it was the boy that caught my eye earlier.

"Oh, nothing," I muttered.

"What's your name?" he continued, sitting across from me.

"Jasmine," I said. "And you?"

"River."

"Cool name."

"Thanks."

I directed my attention back to the unchanging scenery outside. I sighed, seeing no inspiration for miles.

"Why do you zone out like that?" River questioned.

"Two reasons: A) because I can, and B) because I like to find inspiration for my art from nature."

"Oh, okay. Want me to leave you alone...?" River trailed off.

"Yes," I a-little-less-than snapped at him.

He ran his hands through his spiky, bleach blonde hair and walked away to his bunk. He pulled out a notebook and started scratching words vigorously onto the paper. I wonder what he's writing. Oh, who am I kidding? I could honestly care less.

Elliot and Bree were still deep in conversation so I mouthed to my best friend that I was going to leave. On my way back to the room, I couldn't stop wondering what River was writing. Why was I so fascinated in this boy? He seemed like the kind that would be your friend at first but totally ditch you when you needed him the most.

I had a friend like that before I started talking to Brianna. Her name had been Annemarie, but I'm sure her adoptive parents called her something else.

When I arrived at our dorm, all eyes were suddenly on me. One girl with chestnut brown skin stood up and approached me. She put a hand on my shoulder and whispered two words that sent me into a state of confusion, panic, and anger.

"Annemarie's back."