Chapter 5: Dreams

Chapter 5

Aurelia awoke with a start. “My God, what a horrible dream.” She murmured under her breath while slowly getting out of bed.

She dreamt that she was going to be married off to an old, hideous prince from a kingdom far away. He seemed to be in his mid sixties and was bald. He was round and sweated excessively.

He tried grabbing her by the arm but she ran into the woods. She kept running until she reached the other side, and when she did she saw Mathew with a beautiful princess. She was a thin, perfectly figured girl around the same age as Aurelia. She had golden blond hair and sparkly blue eyes. Her skin was pale and seemed smooth to the touch.

Aurelia was shocked that he was with the princess. She couldn’t believe that he forgot about her so easily. She ran up towards Mathew, and when she finally caught up to him, Mathew just stared at her as if she were a lost dog. He then turned and kissed the beautiful princess right in front of her. That hurt Aurelia badly and she couldn’t believe he kissed the princess without even caring that she was there.

“You said I was the beautiful, courageous princess you had feelings for!” she screamed at him in her dream with tears rolling down her face.

Mathew looked in her direction and then said, “You shouldn’t be so independent. That is an ugly trait in a princess. You should be obedient and follow the orders given to you. Go back and marry the king that was chosen for you.”

“You said you admired that I was independent!” she yelled. She looked at him in utter disbelief. She couldn’t believe he was talking to her in such a way. “I will never go back and marry that ugly, old man!”

“Me, admire someone like that? You are obviously wrong. Who would admire such an aggressive and outspoken princess? Now leave. The best thing for you to do is go and marry the King. Stop bothering me. I would never have feelings for someone like you.”

He looked at her in disgust and starting laughing while walking away hand in hand with the beautiful princess.

And that is what led her to waking up with such a start.

“Thank God it was just a dream,” she whispered to herself.

She went into her bathroom and washed her face in some cold water. She looked into the oval shaped mirror that was placed right next to her bathtub. She did see herself as an independent and courageous princess. But that didn’t bother her at all. She loved the way she was and she didn’t know why it bothered her so much that Mathew said those things in her dream.

“It’s not like he actually said those things to me. It was just a dream. And I do not even like him. I just think he is an attractive person,” she tried, unsuccessfully, to convince herself.

She knew she had strong feelings for Mathew. She even dreamt about him, even though it wasn’t the kind of dream one would normally have about the person they like. Her mind, once again, started to focus on Mathew’s emerald green eyes. Aurelia sighed. She knew there was no way that she could get over her feelings. She rubbed her eyes while starring at herself in the mirror. She had a funny look on her face, as one does when thinking about the person they love. She laughed at her reflection.

Suddenly, she heard a knock at her door. She took one last look into the mirror before leaving the bathroom and opening her door.

Outside of the door stood Sienna wearing her nightgown and rubbing her right eye. Aurelia could tell her sister just woke up.

”You still look sleepy Sienna,” Aurelia said in a laughing tone. “Why did you suddenly wake up? It’s only-,” Aurelia took a quick glance into her room at the clock and saw, to her shock, that it was still 4 in the morning. She only slept for three hours. “It’s only4 o’clock.”