Chapter One

Wes stared out the patio doors that framed the L.A. skyline like a painting. A book cover where each tiny window on each massive building kept a story locked inside. Maybe someone out there had a story as surreal as his own. 

How did he even get here? One minute, he was jamming with Keaton and Drew in Huntington Beach and the next he had his own place, a fast track to fame and a life that never ceased to be anything but amazing. Crazier still, it was only the beginning and the sky —the same one stretched across the horizon—was the limit. 

Drew cleared his throat. "Just watching you think that hard is giving me a headache." 

Wes turned to face his friend. "You think that hard all the time." 

Truth. Drew had enough profound thoughts to fill a book, maybe two.

Keaton appeared behind him, grimacing with a hand across his stomach. "C'mon bro, I'm starving," he looked at Wes. "What do you want for dinner?" 

Wes shrugged. "Whatever you want is fine with me." 

Drew looped his key-chain through his ring finger. “It's astonishing how useless that answer is. Keaton, let's go. You," he said to Wes, "go enjoy your damned view and get the dazed and confused out of your system."

Drew was wrong. This was a moment of absolute clarity. There was no confusion. Life was just about perfect. As for being dazed; he couldn't help the fact that the view was off the charts. It was one of the main reasons he took the place. Admittedly the massive windows, exposed beams, hot tub and larger than life master suite didn't hurt either. 

Wes stepped out onto the balcony unable to quash feeling of being on top of the world and although he’d paid good money for the view from up here, he hadn't considered the one beside him that drew his eyes in. 

An athletic girl stood on a yoga mat balanced on one leg, her knee drawn up beside her and her arms pointed over her head in a triangle. Her eyes were closed, her features set in fierce determination.  

Wes turned back to the door that was still open behind him making sure to keep his voice low but urgent.  "Drew. Keaton. There's a girl out here doing yo—" his head tilted to the side in an effort to follow the direction of her body, "god." 

No response. They'd already left.  A travesty of sorts because now both of her palms were pressed into the ground in addition to her feet, angling her body at 45 degrees and creating beautiful, defined lines.  Her blond hair fell in loose waves and skimmed the yoga mat. 

The girl was oblivious to his presence so he froze for a moment to admire her. There was no doubt about it: this view was far better than the skyline.  He considered the merits of saying something but if she was anything like the girls he'd met at the gym, yoga was sacred—a ritual to be practiced with the utmost concentration and respect. He knew he could never get a second chance to make a first impression so he had no intentions of encroaching on her sun salutations and pissing her off. 

As much as he wanted to stay in that spot and watch her all night, he reluctantly headed back inside to offer her some privacy. 

Their dog, Sampson lay sprawled across the couch sound asleep like he'd done all the moving. Wes flopped down beside him and scrolled through his phone reading headlines, checking social media, and responding to a few text messages. He'd just clicked 'send' on the last one when Drew and Keaton returned with brown paper take out bags and a tray of soda. Keaton reached into the bag, pulled out a burger and whipped it at Wes, whose hand darted to the side and caught it while a sleepy-eyed Sampson looked up at Keaton before settling his head back on his paws.