She's Tougher Than She Looks.

"Harley!" Carly's voice screamed. Right in my ear.

"Ah!" I rolled in the opposite direction. And landed on the floor. Hard. "What?" I said, just short of a shout. I got on my knees and glared at my ten year old sister, Carly. She smiled a smug/mischievous/satisfied smile. The same one that proved we were in deed related.

Sometimes I really did wonder, no matter how many times our parents disappointed me by saying she was not adopted--and I wasn't either--, or how much we look alike. I mean, she's such a sissy.

And she does look like me. Black, wavy hair, emerald green eyes, a clear complexion.

Older girls were jealous of our looks. And we were only ten and thirteen.

"Harley?" Carly flopped on my bed.

I got up and pulled on some pants that Mom makes special for me, since girls pants aren't exactly a commodity.

"Mom said to wake you a little earlier than normal, 'cause you're going hunting with Dad." Carly said, curling into a more comfortable position, watching me braid my long hair. I spun around and looked closely at Carly.

"Really?" I asked suspiciously. I wanted SO bad to go hunting, but Dad always said that I needed to be older. Carly nodded, looking annoyed.

"Yeah. So I have to do your chores." Ah, well that explains it. I squealed and skipped down the stairs.

"Hey, Mom." I said, grabbing a plate to help finish set the table. Mom laughed. My mom looked like Leelee and me, and much younger than she was. Which is something we inherited.

"Arley!" My other baby sister squealed, throwing a carrot at me. Where she got the carrot, I have no idea.

"Jessamine." Mom said fondly. I couldn't help but scowl a little. If I threw food, I got in big trouble. Even when I was four. I guess by the time Jessie came around, my parents figured out that throwing things that shouldn't be thrown was a kid thing, so now they just look lovingly at Jessie whenever she tries to take my head off with a potato.

And let me tell you, potatoes hurt.

"Jessie!" I squealed back. What? Just because she is determined to give me a concussion, doesn't mean I can't love her. I picked her up and twirled her around.

"Alright, Harley, eat up, you're dad's waiting for you in the barn." Mom said, laughing slightly. I nodded and crammed as much food as I could into my mouth, chewed, swallowed, then did it again. Carly came in at some point and just watched me, a disgusted look on her face.

I couldn't help it.

"What's up?" I asked, purposely spitting eggs on her.

"EEW!" Carly shrieked, getting up and dancing around. I smirked, swallowed, then bolted.

"Bye, love you! Especially you, Leelee! And Jessie!" I shouted. The door slammed before I finished, but I couldn't care less, I was going hunting!

I ran to the barn, and was almost in, before Dad came out and closed the door behind him. I skidded to a stop in front of him, and mock frowned up at his smiling face.

While Leelee, Jessie, and I all look like Mom, we get our facial expressions from Dad. So I recognized this smile as a I-know-something-you-don't-know No. 3.

"Dad?" I said, questioningly.

"I've got a surprise for you." He said. I felt my face brighten. Oooh, maybe it was that bow I saw in Mason's store. Oh, that thing was sooo beautiful!

"It's not the bow." Dad said. Darn it! Oh, well, what ever it was, is sure to be good!

Dad covered my eyes and led me into the barn. Stopping at a stall, he uncovered my eyes, and standing before me was the most gorgeous horse I had ever seen! I gasped. I spun to look at Dad. He just smiled.