Chapter Four: Indirection

Rue took a piece of paper in a small closet. It was an old receipt from her mother's hospital bill. But she couldn't find what it was for. She sighed then shook her head clear of memories for the time being. Lyza neded her. It wasn't time to mope. She quickly folded the paper into an airplane and kissed it. This had to work.

She gently threw it toward the front of the dead man and watched him bare no reaction to the airplane, but only the sound it made as it passed through. He tilted his head and grabbed for it, but only after it had flown by. He was blind. But, that was to say, he must have very keen hearing. Just before, he chased Rue. He could hear her steps. They had a chance, but it was very, very, slim.

She turned her head to Tyrell who had a smile on his pale face. Apparently, he had the same light bulb. Rue doubted it.

Tyrell continued his way to her. Now that he knew the dead man couldn't see him, he was somewhat calm. But, he was all the more conscious. One snap came from under his foot. Everything stopped. The dead sniffed the air and walked toward Tyrell who stayed in place. He looked at Rue and then his feet. He slowly picked it up and saw broken pieces of a potato chip on his shoe. Before he could look back at Rue, the dead man was sprinting his way.

He ran toward Rue. At this point, there was no other way. She could either let him have Tyrell, or distract it. This would save Cody and Lyza, maybe Rue, but was she really willing to let him die? He was just a boy.

Tyrell would be forced to follower her. She could not o ly save his life, but alead the dead Rues time caught up with her. She had no other choice. She grabbed hold of Tyrell's arm and ran toward the door, the dead man followed. Tyrell held on to her hand, breathing heavily as he looked up at her. She could have let him die. But she didn't.

"Rue!" yelled a small voice from behind the dead monster. Rue immediately locked eyes with her little sister, her small frail hand reached out toward Rue. Suddenly, she forgot where she was. All that she felt was the slow, constant beating of her heart. She came back to her senses when Cody grabbed Lyza and buried her head in his shoulder. Regardless if she came straight back, what if something happened to her?

Tyrell knew it would be dangerous. But, he already made his way, she had no choice. Rue shook her head in disappointment. With all the brains he head, she though she'd have some common sense.

A cracking noise came from Tyrell's feet. He tensed up. Looking at Rue, then at his feet. Slowly, he picked it up and found a potato chip on the ground. Beore he could get a clear sight, the dead man was sprinting toward him.Rue did not have a lot of choices. It was either be a distraction, or let Tyrell be the distraction. In which case, he would become the the mean. The tiem shrunk. If she acted as the distraction.

The dead man drew his head back and released a loud raspy cry. In this instant, small groans, growls, cries and screams came from all around the house. Rue knew; it was either run, or die. She looked once more at Lyza. Her eyes filled with tears. She then looked up at Cody, who held a guilty expression on his face. His bottom lip was tucked in, the inner part of his eyebrow was twitching. He too knew what had to be done. He just could accept it.

Rue kept herself from crying, as hard as it was, she was content to maintain a calm resolve. Tyrell squeezed her hand. He pulled her outside. Then, pointed outside. There wasn't any people- but do not be fooled- this

The sight of all the other dead in just the next block down caused Rue to nearly break down. It was spreading faster than an illness. Her pacing footsteps and the obnoxious growling of the dead man behind her grabbed the lifeless attention of all the dead around them.

"What, now?" Tyrell panted, mirroring the expression of Rue who looked to both sides. There was the woods. She could lose the dead in there. But, she would have to suffer being lost herself. There were several houses in the area, but they were too close to her own; the front door was already non-existent. There was nothing to block the incoming dead. She had to be able to ricochet back to the house by taking them far from it.

It was then that she quickly patted her pockets to find the key to the attic. Just then, she remembered- she must have dropped it. In that case, hopefully in the attic. All that was left was the decision- forest, or random houses.

Rue looked down at Tyrell. He was throwing rocks at the dead to buy her some more time to think things over. Rue could have all time in the wind, but nothing made this decision any easier. It would never be easy to leave the only family she had left in the end of the world. Her senses dulled, her heart pushed against her chest.

"Rue!" Tyrell yelled, shaking her arm. He'd run out of rocks. If Rue was ever going to make a choice, it was and had to be, now. Her direction went back to her house, then to the forest. She again grabbed Tyrell's hand and ran as fast as she could.

Cody stared at the top of the steps. He was attempting- or more accurately, struggling, to keep Lyza from running outside. She was too young. Too young to see all this death and filth. Too young to lose her mother, to live in a world that was ending. All of them were. Regardless, she was strong at a young age. She would not rest until she could see her sister again. Cody could no longer restrain her. She climbed down this body and turned herself to the now broken down door. She saw Rue's hair bouncing in the distance.

"She'll be back, Lyza." Cody tried to assure, when he himself needed it, "Until then, I will protect you, I promise." Lyza let her body fall and what was better known as a tantrum took place. It was going to take a lot to gain her trust. Cody knew that. But, he was not going to give up. For the sake of Rue and Lyza, he had to be the man he never was. No one knew yet if there was anyone out there alive in the world anymore.. Cody had to be strong regardless. Rue had to be strong, regardless. Lyza and Tyrell had to be strong, regardless. These kids were being forced to act as adults. To be stronger than they were, just to fit in this new world.