II

Covering my suit in a knee length trench coat, I stepped into the sparsely furnished apartment. The wallpaper in the living room was peeling and the carpet was probably older then I was, but it would suffice for what I needed it for the next couple of weeks. Luckily, I'd come over last night to drop off my clothes and make the bed with a mattress protector and my own blankets from home.

The apartment was small; it wasn't meant to be a home of any true sort. There was a couch on the left wall with a coffee table in front of it across from the kitchen island. I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and made my way down the hallway, trailing my hands across the wall. The excitement causing my heart to beat just a little bit faster. The bedroom was just as simple as the living room. A bed in the corner, looking particularly out of place with my blankets coving it, a nightstand next to it, a dresser next to the door and a closet on the right side of the room. The closet was already full of the clothes I'd unpacked last night.

I untied the trench coat and dropped it on the floor, the rest of my attire soon followed. I grabbed my makeup bag and left to the bathroom for a quick shower. I blow dried my hair leaving it in perfect cherry waves that went down below my shoulder blades.

I decided on simple but dramatic makeup. My skin was pretty clear, and foundation only irritated it. One less step in my process. I settled on a red ombre lip, winged eye liner, with just a hint of red eye shadow above the liner. The outfit was perfect. A beautiful, black, strapless lace corset held my C cup boobs in just the right way, and it didn't leave much to the imagination. The attention I'd get was just another drug on my list. A matching lace thong and mid-thigh black stockings that clipped to the corset were next.

I was so close to being ready, my heart was beating like a hummingbird. Finally, I slipped into a fitted black leather skirt and a pair of stilettos that came just above my knee cap and matched my hair perfectly. I took one last look in the mirror and slipped my cash and ID into the side of the corset. There was no trace of the other me. I was free.

I found the apartment key and a bracelet from my suitcase. It was a thick red leather band with a small inner pouch for the key. I grabbed the trench coat off the floor, tied its warmth around my body and finished my water before heading out of the apartment. After I locked the door, I put the key in its place and strapped the clips of the bracelet around my wrist.

I had completely forgot about my cell phone in my rush to get my play time started, but a quick pocket search revealed I had never taken it out of my coat pocket in the first place. It was almost 7pm and Johnny was probably already waiting for me. He had a knack for being early.

The neon sign over Smile & Grin was lit up but a quick glance down either side of the street didn't reveal even a hint of another soul around. No one was at the door, but perhaps it was just too early for that much effort. The club was pretty desolate, even more so than when I came in for a lunch drink. Scanning the room, I saw Johnny sitting on a white couch in a private area on the other side of the club. It was elevated above the dance floor and probably had a good view of everything that went on inside the club. Feeling my phone vibrate, I saw Johnny's name on the screen.

"Johnny."

"Mason."

"Always ahead of me aren't you?"

"Of course, I'll come down. We can hang out over in the VIP area. We have a booth reserved." I began to make my way past the bar to the private rooms on the other side of the room. They weren't so much rooms and booths with huge dividers between them and beaded curtains to obscure the occupants.

"Okay, where are you now if it's not VIP?"

"Boss's lounge. Last place you need to be Sweetheart." With that he hung up.

It now occurred to me that only one of the booths had lights on at the moment, so that must be ours. I climbed the stairs that gave the space a separation from the dancefloor.

"May I take your coat, Ma'am?" A young kid appeared out of nowhere. He probably wasn't really that much younger than me, but he didn't quite look like life had gotten around to him yet.

"Umm, sure." I handed my coat to him at the same instant I felt a large warm hand settle on my waist.

"Eyes off, Linc. Disappear." The kid turned and practically ran into the darkness behind the bar.

"Now I'm not sure that was really necessary Johnny," I threw my arms around his neck, which he returned with a warm bear hug, "a little peak never hurt anyone."

"You always did like to play with fire didn't you?"

"What can I say, I get off on the burn Baby," I smirked at him and he just shook his head.

Johnny led me to our booth where I promptly relaxed on the plush black leather couch and crossed my legs at the knees.

"So, I guess you're still processing huh?" I'd known Johnny too long, but he didn't judge me for the things I did. He was probably the only person in the world who knew both versions of me.

We met in college. He was a low level, street punk dealer that hung around party row. The night I was raped I stumbled into his arms trying to get as far as I could from the frat house I was in. My clothes were shredded and I was so scared and drunk I couldn't see straight. I managed to give him my address and he got me home. I passed out before we got there and he stayed with me for the next week. I had been given GHB and just barely got away before it took over. He'd been a part of my life ever since. Like an older brother of sorts.

We went drastically separate ways in life, but we never fell out of touch. Gotham really did have something for everyone.

Johnny was messing with the iPad on the wall trying to find a playlist.

"Let's be real, I stopped processing long ago. I'm just an addict with some control issues. But hey, it seems to work for me. Speaking of which, things have certainly changed for you too," I said, acknowledging his apparent power within whatever employment he'd found here.

"Pardon me. Your drinks, Sir." The same kid from before sat down a tray of shots in a rainbow of colors. He nodded to me then ran from us again.

"Oooh Johnny baby, you know me so well," I said with a wide grin on my face, grabbing the nearest cherry red shot and downing it. The burn in my throat didn't last long but the warmth in my belly told me these shots weren't made from the cheap shit.

Halestorm started playing around us.

"Have you ever had your doubts?