Chapter 1: June 2nd, 815A.D. (part 2)

Saphire, I just had the best dream, Ruby thought to me excitedly.  One of Father’s servants – the one with black hair, Chris something-or-other – helped us – Diamond, Chrystal, Mother, you, and me – escape the next thing I knew we were away from here.  Now that I am thinking about it, it might have been a vision and not a dream.

            Come on nothing like that will ever happen.  He is Father’s most trusted servant.

            You never know, stranger things have happened.

            I rolled my eyes at her, Well we should go into the hallway.  Father will be mad enough as it is.  We both got up and Ruby followed me into the hallway.

            “WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG,” Father yelled.

            “I – I – and she – and we,” I stammered trying to think of something to say tears stinging the back of my eyes.

            “SPIT IT OUT.”

            “It was my fault,” I knew who it was but I turned anyway and saw Ruby approaching father.  “I would not wake up,” I saw tears fill her eyes.

            Do not cry, I spoke to her mind, you will only make it worse for yourself if you do.

            I know, she said blinking her tears away.  “And I am sorry for that, Father.”

            Father’s mouth turned up in a cruel smile.  “Patters,” he yelled one of his servants, Chris, came down.

            “Yes sir,” Chris asked his black eyes filled with concern as he looked between Ruby and me.

            “I need you to take Ruby to my special room,” Father said still looking at Ruby.  I have never been in that room.

            “Yes sir,” Chris said nodding as he walked towards Ruby he mouthed, ‘my mind,’ meaning he wants me to communicate with him through his mind.

            What did you want, I asked him in his mind hostilely.

            I wanted to tell you I am sorry for this, he thought sincerely walking Ruby to Father’s special room.  I also wanted to tell you that after tonight you will not have to spend much more time here, he paused, unless I fail.

            Fail, I asked him, fail what and how would you know that after tonight I will not have to spend much more time here?

            It does not matter right now.

            “Now” father said bringing me back to my current situation, “as for you four,” Mother was standing up next to us her red mark turning black and blue.  “Catherina, make my breakfast.”

            “Yes sir,” she nodded.

            “Chrystal,” he paused thinking about what chore to give her, “I want you to clean my room which includes making my bed.”

            Chrystal nodded, “yes father.”

            “Diamond, I want you to clean the dining room.”

            “I will father,” Diamond said, stepping forward.

            “Oh I know you will.  Saphire,” he said slowly as he turned to me, his mouth turning into a cruel smile, “I want you to clean the bathtub.”  I felt tears fill my eyes but I blinked them away, cleaning the bathtub is the worst thing to have to do, it is all rusty and gross.

            The rest of the day went on like that with Father giving the four us chores, with me getting the worst ones.  Surprisingly after Ruby got in trouble, none of us did.  But for the rest of the day Ruby did not show.  By the time we father let us go to bed I was exhausted and I wanted to cry.