Survival of the Fittest: The Beginning

The fire crackled away with its near sinister laugh despite its glow being salvation to those in its wake. Above the fire on a makeshift spit a radroach was roasting away, not a gourmet meal by any standards but sustenance it is. Sat by the fire a grizzled man is sorting through his backpack; his face, by no means welcoming, bore the ridges of many a scar travelling from his brow towards his crooked nose. Withdrawing from his backpack, it had been patched and repatched repeatedly, he looked at the water bottle he had removed. He would need to travel towards Rhodia when the morning comes. 

"Goddammit" he said to himself. He knew how dangerous it is to show his face in the major settlements now. However, he had no alternative; he had to go and buy supplies. By now, the closer to stench than inviting aroma of the cooked radroach filled his nostrils. Removing the meat from the fire, he had to contain his vicious gag reflex to stomach the ungodly taste of the meat. Maybe visiting Rhodia wouldn't be such a bad decision in retrospect. After all, the last he heard the Khans had been searching around the Commonwealth for him. 

Staring into the welcoming glow of the fire he couldn't help but think back to the stories of the NCR defeating Caesar's Legion at Hoover Dam, with the courier of legend leading them every step of the way. As a child he had wished to meet this courier, rumour has it he had passed through the town of his upbringing on his way to answer the call of The Divide. Safe in the knowledge that he was safe within the cave he decided to try get some sleep. The wastes would take its fair share from him in the coming hours.