the twelfth

I've only been drugged once before, and it was when I had my wisdom teeth out. This isn't all that much different, except when I go under this time it's unexpected and not exactly supposed to be happening. There's a lot more panic and chaos in my brain this time.

Being unconcious is a funny thing. Drugged sleep is different than regular sleep. You don't dream for one thing. You are dragged under against your will, and there you lie, unmoving and unthinking until it wears off.

Waking up is also a funny thing.

You don't wake up to the sound of an alarm, or slowly blink your eyes open. All of a sudden you're awake, but you can't remember waking up, and you can't remember what you've done in the past thirty minutes.

You can't talk, and you can't walk on your own.

Your mind feels as if it's been invaded by aliens, intruding your every thought. You feel as if it will never wear off, and even if it does, you don't think you'll ever be the same. You can't even really remember feeling anything but sleepy.

It's wholly miserable.

I would know- because right now I'm in the back of some moving vehicle, strapped to a bed by a pair of handcuffs. The drugs are just now wearing off to where I can remember my name and where I live and what the heck is going on. 

I think I'm in some sort of a van, but I'm not sure. It could be a car or a bus. But it's pretty big back here, so I'd go with a larger car or something.

There are cabin bunks lined along the walls, and I'm in one of them. I've been lying here for three minutes, totally still, trying to figure out my surroundings and what's going on.

In the bed on the other side of the wall, Lizzie is lying, still passed out. They must have drugged her after they got me.

Whoever "they" is. What I don't understand, is why.

Why would they take us? 

Why would they take Lizzie and I- two little girls who came to the best hospital in the country to be fixed? Why us?

What about Kane?

I haven't seen him since the hospital, but there's someone in the bunk above me, because every once in a while they shift a little and the mattress moves. I'm hoping it's him and he'll be able to help us get out of here.

Wherever here is.

The vehicle goes over a bump and flings me partway in the air since I don't have a seatbelt on. The only thing keeping me from going over the bed is the handcuffs, and they bite into my left wrist, jerking me into place.

I mumble a curse word as I try to rub my wrist with the other one.

"Charlie?" 

Kane's voice comes from above me. I was right, he is in the upper bunk.

"Kane?!" 

I hear the handcuffs on his bed jangle for a minute and then he leans his head over the bunk. I scoot over so he can see me and he shakes his head. "What is going on?"

I shrug, "I was about to go get tests, and the next thing I knew, I was being drugged. I have no idea."

He sighs through his nose, "Same here. Who are these people?"

My stomach churns as I realize how much danger we're all potentially in. "I don't know. Kane... I'm sorry for bringing you into this, whatever it is."

He narrows his eyes at me, "It's fine, Charlie. I came because I wanted to. I was sick, remember?"

I nod, but I still feel guilty. He'd never be here if I hadn't told him about this hospital and then suggested he ride with us.