A story

"You can't sleep?" The old man asked as Vani came out of the book she was reading.

"Yes, you are right. Sorry, I forgot that you would be here to clean up the mess I make daily," Vani apologized.

"It's my pleasure, Princess. These books have come to life after a long time. A long time ago, someone used to come here as often as you do and enjoy the books as much as you do. Her curiosity required regular supply of books and data from across the kingdom along with many debates and gatherings," old man reminisced.

"Who was she? What happened to her?" Vani inquired.

"She was the daughter of King Subash and Queen Mani, Princess Rati. She later on married a noble king of Vijas King Dilip and unified both kingdoms to form Vansh. She was beautiful and intelligent," librarian replied.

"Why does she stopped coming? Please continue, I want to learn more about her. She seems like an amazing person."

"Yes, she was one of her kind. Her beauty and intelligence attracted everyone. On top of it, she was a princess of a wealthy kingdom. She used to come here all the time. She wanted to learn everything about the kingdoms, their people, and culture. Everyone wanted to have her and win her heart. At one of the gatherings she met King Dilip, and during the debate, they fell in love. She liked his simplicity and openness. Unlike other men, he considered women equivalent to men and had no reservations in acknowledging the fact that anyone can be skillful and can master any form of art irrespective of gender. King Subash on listening to these words knew then and there that he had found the right man for his daughter. But Princess Rati was not so easy to please. She took many tests of Dilip which included bravery, mercy and what not before accepting him as a life partner. They complimented each other. Together they created this great kingdom where people were happy and content."

" Then what?"

" Then they were betrayed right here in this castle. Queen Rati had a child. On child's fifth birthday, there was a great feast. During which they were murdered."

" Who betrayed them?"

" King Subash had a minister who was ambitious. He was powerful and corrupt but intelligent enough not to get caught. He had set his eyes on Princess and wanted to have her at any cost along with the kingdom. His plans were ruined the day princess was married. But he never loses hope. He kept gathering his trusted guards and soldiers. Those whom he couldn't buy with money were murdered. Soon for a choice between money and death, ministers and guards started choosing money.

With the support of these corrupted ministers and soldiers, he murdered King Dilip on that fateful day." Old man narrated

"What happened to Queen Rati?"

"Well, she fled with the child. At one point, she had to choose between her life and her child's life. She sacrificed herself to save the child" old man had tears in his eyes by now.

"I am sorry. What happened to the child?"

"For three months, the child was bundled from one place to another. King had few trusted guards left who transferred the child here and there. But, the child was captured and killed," old man stood up, cleared his tears and continued," You should get some sleep Princess it's quite late."

'If the king and queen were killed, that means the betrayal was done by the present king.' Vani nodded, and with heavy footsteps, she returned to her chambers.

'All is not lost though. The child has returned to its true place. She doesn't know just yet. Time will come. It will come soon,' old man thought and started working.

$3