03 - The Stranger

My Sweet Thing

Chapter 03

The Stranger

After two days, the majority of the company was more than ready to return to their garrison. 

Everyone except Gauwyn. He spent more time numbed up and passed out than he did awake and when he was awake, he was restless, in pain, and angry. That bothered Elfhelm to no end.

Elfhelm was torn. As captain, it was his duty to return with his group and leave someone with his brother. However, the one being left behind was his brother. Duty and family at times did not mix. If Gauwyn wasn’t so bad off…

“You stay,” Mathye was fairly insistent. “I’ll explain-”

“I should go and leave you behind. Or Eafa…”

“No.” A heavy hand came down on the young captain’s shoulder. Hæfern stood tall behind him. “You stay here, I’ll talk to Gamhelm. The Marshal,” he said with a wink, “and I have been friends for many years. We had Rider-training together. He owes me a favor or two.” He lifted his hand. “Chances are, he’ll be up here with a fresh detail to have a looksee himself.”

“I don’t know,” Elfhelm shook his head. “The men are my responsibility.”

“So is the one laying half-dead in the bed there, Rider!” Hæfern spoke gruffly. “Stay put with him or your mother will have your head if you come home without him. And Achae right behind her!” Elfhelm shook his head in agreement. Hereswið ran a tight tavern and no one crossed her, not even her affable husband or any of her children. She’d raised twelve and all of them tiptoed around the woman. He feared her more than he feared his senior captain or his Marshal! Put in that context, Elfhelm quickly agreed to stay behind. 

“I’m more afraid of her than I am of Gamhelm, anyway!” Elfhelm whispered with a smile.

“As you should be!” 

As his men began to disperse and head out to saddle and saddlebag their horses, Hæfern drew him close. “If it worries you, I outrank you and ordered you to stay behind.” Elfhelm nodded in agreement. “However, there is one thing you can do for me while I’m gone.”

“Sure. Name it.”

Hæfern was mildly amused at the speed in which the young Rider agreed to the unspecified request. “You know Lýðrest is my niece-”

“I’d heard rumors,” Elfhelm said with a grin.

“I had planned to be here a few more days; however, with your troubles, I’m cutting my visit short.” The older captain leaned forward. “Keep an eye on her. There are a few unsavory Rohirrim that have laid hands on her, wait!” Elfhelm reared up in fury, Hæfern laying a restraining hand on his chest, “Hear me out. She’s not been… physically accosted, but it hasn’t been for lack of trying.”

“Who?”

Hæfern looked around, making sure they had no company. “Hucohun,” Elfhelm nodded; he knew the man, at least by now he did, “and his two buddies, Ælle and Eadbald.” Elfhelm’s normal smile now turned into snarl. “Hucohun has been difficult and is becoming more difficult to deal with.”

“Why doesn’t her father send her on elsewhere?” Elfhelm hissed. “Somewhere where she’d be safer?”

Hæfern shrugged. “Same reasons we’ve discussed. She’s all her da has left, but if she had gainful employment in a safe haven, I think I could talk him into letting her go. That’s part of my reason for going in your stead. I can talk to Gamhelm and his wife Aelwydd. I hope I can appeal to their family instincts to take her in. If I can procure employment for her or if I can get Gamhelm to head this way with me on the return trip, my stubborn brother won’t have much choice.” Hæfern leaned back, his plan revealed. “Besides, your ma has a soft heart and could use the help in the tavern. You know it, as well as I do.” He clapped the young man on the shoulder. “You can do that for me?”