2: No Way Out.

Hervia escorts Sage and I into the District's Justice Building, after a long applause rang out for us. While I was hugging Sage, he whispered in my ear,

"Just show them that pretty smile of yours,"

I did as I was told, knowing better than to doubt Sage's knowledge of the Games. So, after I let go of Sage, I look out at the crowd, and to the cameras and flash my pearly whites. I couldn't completely hide the pain in my eyes, but I tried to be as charming as possible.

I hold onto Sage's hand tightly as Peacekeepers march us into the large building. Once we reach a set of doors, one Peacekeeper grabs onto me, tearing me from Sage's grip.

I turn towards Sage, scared of what's coming. But he gives me a quick nod, assuring me everything will be alright.

The Peacekeepers place me in a room, which is decorated quite lavishly, even for our wealthy District. I take a seat beside the window, trying to see what everyone else is doing; what I should be doing.

If things were fair, I'd be walking back home, joining my parents for a nice dinner, celebrating the start of yet another Hunger Games.

But of course, that isn't the case.

"You have three minutes," A Peacekeeper causes me to jump as my parents enter the room.

I rush to my feet and run into their arms. My mother cries and pets my head. Her tears start to soak through my dress, and they also cause my eyes to start tearing up as well.

"Clarista, stop it." My father says, sternly, using a tone of voice I rarely hear. He's a rather gentle man, and an incredibly caring father. He pulls my mother from me, and squats down to be on my level.

"Rini, my little princess," He tucks a golden piece of hair behind my ear, "You can do this. You've watched enough games, you're a smart girl. I know Sage is bigger, but you can outsmart him. You have to keep him close up until the very end, you must!" He hisses, speaking at a rapid pace.

My mind starts to spin as I hit realization that this is all real. I'm really going to have to survive against 23 other Tributes, all bigger and stronger than I.

"Dad, I can't- I can't do this!" I cry, breaking into sobs and burying my face into his suit. But he doesn't let me cry for very long. He removes me from his chest and looks me dead in the eye.

"You can, darling. You can. If there's one thing I want you to keep through all of this, it's hope. Remember that you are a beautiful, smart young woman, and you can do anything you set your mind to." He wipes my cheeks dry with a handkerchief from his suit pocket.

I nod and bite my lip to keep from crying. Crying will get me nowhere in this competition. No one's going to be pitying me, and if I'm seen as a whiny, adolescent, weakling, my survival chance will decrease immeadiately.

"Your time is up," A Peacekeeper announces, causing my father to get to his feet, taking my mother's hand in his.

"Shine for them, Princess, shine for them," My father tells me before the Peacekeeper shuts the door on them.

 I stand there, my knees growing weaker and weaker. I clutch the edge of a table, just to be sure that I don't collapse on the ground. That could be the last time I ever see my parents. I didn't even really say my goodbyes. I know my father wouldn't have listened, but I still should have tried...

The next person to visit me was Tervi. As the Peacekeepers open the doors, she rushes in, pulling me into her grip. Hugging isn't normal for her, so I understand how much the gesture means, coming from her.