CUIB * chapter 2

Chapter 2

“She really made you stay when he was there?” Cullen and I were at a restaurant, not fancy because we didn’t want to overdo it, but not a junky place either. I’d left my mother’s place as soon as I could – she’d made Keith and I sit together and chat… It was so awkward!

“Yes, she made me sit and talk to him… It was horrible!” We were waiting for out food that we ordered. I went with what Cullen went with – steaming pasta, a soda and fries… Not very mature, but come on, we were celebrating!

Our food was set on the table, and we both dug in at the same time.

“So, how did your interview go? Did you meet any one new? Is ‘Mr. Payne’ a nerd?” Cullen was so curious, he was loaded with questions!

“It went great… Delos Payne – he’s the boss, owner, whatever… But he’s no nerd, or old man, he looks about 23-25 years old… muscular, good looking,” Cullen started to glare. “But he’s a jerk, he probably has no heart… don’t worry baby.” I put my hand on his across the table and squeezed it. “Three months.” I smiled and he smiled back, thankfully not mad at what I had said before. C’mon! I wouldn’t do that to him!

“And, I met a few people too, workers. It was only because I walked right into him though… Me being a klutz and all!” I blushed as he chuckled.

“Sounds interesting…” Cullen said as he sipped his coke. “This Delos guy…” He started but didn’t continue. I shrugged and looked at my food finishing the last pieces.

“Are you following her?” I heard Cullen growl. I looked up to see Keith walking to our table. Why was he here?

“No,” Keith said smiling. “I was sitting with a friend,” He pointed to an empty booth – dumass. “But saw her and decided to say hello.”

Cullen was glaring. He never liked Keith, and although I hated Keith myself, Cullen was grabbing a lot of attention.

“Well,” Cullen started. “She’s not saying hello, as you can see,” And both men looked at me angrily. “So, why don’t you walk your shameful –”

“Cullen,” I said cutting him off. “Keith, you already showed up at my mother’s house, I don’t need you ruining my date,” I said taking Cullen’s hand. He squeezed it and rubbed his thumb across it. “So hello, and goodbye.” Keith stared at us hard, and stalked off to his empty booth.

“You should have let me take care of him…” Cullen started.

“No, you guys were grabbing attention…” I ran a hand through my hair and sighed. “Let’s go home.”

I can honestly say Keith ruined my day of happiness.

Cullen paid, and we left the restaurant. We drove home in a comfortable silence, and we reached out apartment quickly. We both got a cup of wine and sat down on the couch, snuggled together. He had his arm around my shoulder, and my head buried into him, cuddled up.