Consequences~Ch. 1

I pulled my hood up and over my head. The moon light would make it too easy to tell who I was. I snuck out of my bedroom and down the stairs and out the doors. As soon as I shut the door behind me quietly, I took off running. I had to get there before the party ended. Mainly before Tim decided to come back.

      Why couldn't I go, anyway? I was eleven. I should be able to go. I should have been allowed to last year. Nope, nothing. Apparently I wasn't old enough yet. Jake was though. Then again, he actually WAS in high school. This was, in fact, a costume party for high school students only. I wasn't wearing a costume. Just jeans and a jacket. The high school threw a party every year. Well, the high school students did anyway.

      Every year after one of these parties people would go missing and we would never find them again. I wanted to go and see why it happened. Jake wasn't even supposed to go but my father eventually caved in.No one ever stopped the students, though. The mayor didn't say anything. The cops. The older people around town. Anyone. Just the younger kids who missed their siblings. It was like there was some big secret here in Blood Creek.

       When I got to the field behind the high school, I was greeted with purple and orange lights hanging in the trees surrounding the field, people and creatures were milling around, snacks were in bowls, and jack-o-lanterns were everywhere to offer more light. I felt my eyes widen because of how sweet it looked here. 

      I ran into the crowd and spotted Jake.I turned the opposite way so he wouldn't see me and rat me out. I grabbed a big bowl of candy and began to choose my favorites. Then I grabbed a small cup. Halloween had always been my favorite. There was a small battery powered pumpkin clock sitting on the table and it read 11:30. Thirty minutes and then Halloween would officially be over. I shrugged and took a sip of my zombie brain juice (orange sherbert in Crush).

      " Hey, Kid?"

     I spun around and my eyes landed on two pretty girls. They were dressed up as witches... only they had short and tight black dresses with a pointy hat on. I blushed. " Yeah?"

     " What's your name? You probably shouldn't even be here. It can get pretty dangerous. Only people sixteen and up know the real secret of Blood Creek." One with sandy blonde hair leaned down and spoke quietly to me.

     "Uhm, I am Jake's brother. Drew. I was only here because I wanted to know what really happened." I sat my cup down and began to calm down.

     " Well, you just might find out here in a couple minutes. Everyone here has got to be pretty brave if they think that they can handle what comes next. This is my second year. Seeing as you're fresh meat... I'd say they will go for a cutie like you first. You'll find out the secret before the mayor comes into your high school class to tell you and all of your friends." She held my chin as she spoke. Maybe she WAS a real witch.

     "What do you mean... they?" I asked. Even though I had millions of questions running through my head right now, I was really spooked from the way she said that one word. I waited for her to answer but she only smiled.

     " Come on, Timby. You're scaring the kid." The other one, with light blonde hair pulled her away from me and put a hand on my shoulder. " Drew, be careful. If I were you, I would run home as quickly as possible. You don't wanna be here when this thing happens. Even I am beginning to get scared. Be a good kid and go home to your parents." She patted my back and then the two of them walked away.

      Then someone grabbed my shoulders and spun me around. I was about to scream until I saw who it was. Even then, though, I wanted to scream. It was Jake. I was so dead. He looked angry... something else too. Worried? I hid my smile and tried to stay serious.