My ending

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Note: I prefer to write in present tense so I apologize for any tense mistakes. I am also writing in first person through Billy's eyes.)

I took a curious look at her, but only for a second.

"Do excuse me, I need to get some rest." I said to her kindly.

"I suddenly feel quite drowsy. Why is that?" I thought to myself. I yawned, as I covered my mouth in a gentlemanly manner.

"Are you going to finish your tea dear?" She asked almost in a commanding voice. It was as though she was forcing me to finish it.

"No thank you, I was not as famished as I first assumed. I do apologize for wasting it." I replied.

"It tasted odd, I've never tasted a tea quite like that one before." I thought while I walked upstairs.

"Have a nice rest, my dear." She says almost too kindly.

I walked upstairs, past her floor, to my room. Then, after I took out the still warm water bottle, I lay down and stared at the ceiling. I willed myself to sleep, but the waking world held me tightly as my mind wandered to all that occurred that day.

"She stuffs all her animals when they die." I thought to myself, "That's normal for a kind and harmless lady, right?" Then I heard the voice of reason.

"No, that isn't bloody normal! Think man."

"But, she's a kind lady who is letting me stay here for an amazingly low price." I thought to myself.

"Did you notice how she used "Was" and "Were" to describe those two men? A person doesn't talk about someone living under the same roof in such a way." It said. Then the voice went silent.

"I need to go see those two men." I said quietly to myself, "but how do I get passed her?" I thought up a plan, but as I thought my eyelids became heavier and heavier. My head started to droop.

"No, I can't fall asleep yet." I commanded myself. I quietly walked over to the door and put my ear to it. I listened for any sign of her presence near to the door. I heard nothing, but looked through the keyhole of the door knob for confirmation. Still no sign of her.

"Perfect, now's my chance." I said under my breath. I opened the door just enough to slip out and walked upstairs on feet lighter than a mouse. I reached the third floor hallway and noticed the slight smell of scented candles. I went up to the nearest door, and carefully put my ear to the wood.

"Nothing, good" I thought to myself. I silently opened the door when I saw it. Animals, well more like their skins, were hanging on the walls on what seemed like hooks. Skeletons being reassembled with some type of wire. Then, I saw a hat. It was a black bowling cap, a very nice one at that, hanging on the wall next to the skin of a black and white cat.

"Why would a lady need a bowling cap?" I said just above a whisper. I picked up the cap, "Also, with such prices, how could she afford one of such high quality?" I noticed the quality of the stitching. I then heard the creaking door behind me, then an arm wrapped around my neck and everything went black. I woke up in my bed. "What the? Was it a dream?" I stretched and looked at the clock. I noticed the time, "3:00". My meeting started and ended hours ago.

"Bloody-!" I exclaimed, but I stop myself, "There's greater issues to worry about right now. Was everything I saw last night a dream or did it actually happen?" I looked around for any proof that it wasn't a dream, found nothing. I stood up with a groan and then felt something on my stocking. I look to find a piece of wood on it. "Odd, not enough proof though, but look, your door is open. You closed it last night." Said the voice in my head. I looked up to find it was true. The door was open. I walked downstairs to the smell of bacon and eggs being cooked.