Chapter 2

Zero breaking his usual haiku speech pattern spoke in a whisper "that has been asked more times then what my name is." Maya looks deeply to zero, trying to adjust her eyes to the darkness in hopes that she may catch a glimps of his face, but his glowing eyes staring into hers didnt allow her eyes to adjust.

Maya inched closer to him, putting her hand on his chest. he didnt move. she frantickly tried to think of what to say so Zero would'nt move away. "Z...Zero, where did you say.. you were from again?"

he spoke in his same monotone voice. "I dont remember ever saying in the first place, why is it that when someone is seen, who lacks location or a name, people want to find out about him. human curiosity pushes them to want to find out, to gain this knowledge when in fact the knowing of his story wont help them in their own lives. so why, why strive to want to find out, what invisible force pushes you to want to know me?" Maya's heart was beating rapidly now, she had running thoughts, zero made some sense. why does she want to find out aboiut him so much? is it the fact that theres unanswered questions that make them want to find the answers? "because you are my friend Zero, we work together, we have fought to the brink of death together, you know everything about me, but I... I want to know you. Maya responded. Zero took a step back. "why must you strive to know my past, it is nonexistant anymore." Maya took a step forward "trust. i want to trust you, but how can i when you are the only person who wont even show us your face. 

through the darkness, Zero turns his head, he feels untrustworthy. he thinks of all the times Maya has saved him, of all the times she pulled him up when he was downed, and yet he can never show her his face. because once she knows hi seacret, human nature will take over her and she will have a burning need to tell others. one cant keep a seacret to herself if theres others who strive to know the same. 

"I am sorry, maybe one day ill be able to show you my face, one day i'll be able to tell you all about me, but i have sworn to identity secrecy, if you wait,  wait until i have cut all the ties that hold me to my past then ill tell you, ill discard my helmet in broad daylight and ill smile to you but right now, you would only be in more danger if i showed you who i am, im... im sorry." zero puts his hand on maya's eyes, covering her sight, then he pushes her towards his bed and he falls backl reaching for his helmet. he exites the darkness, under the glow of the dim light he reaches, stretches his arm and grasps his helmet. 

maya face down on his bed can hear the hissing of his helmet, indicating he has put it on again. her opportunity left, her chance slipped away. the one time she caught zero off guard, she had a chance to find out who he was, but she let it slip away. Zero spoke, "if... if you show me that i can trust you, then ill show you something, just do one thing to show me.. show me that you are willing to wait, then i will tell you something. she pushed herself up from his bed and looked around the room, she was in the dark part and her eyes had adjusted, she saw no one, zero had left. Maya walked up the steps out of his room with her head down in failure. 

At Moxxi's bar

Axton stand up from his stool, he appeared a bit tipsy. he walked to Lilith and asked "hey.. have you seen Maya?" Lilith smiled and said "no.. why? got somethin ta tell her?" Axton smiled "yeah just wanted to talk" Lilith pointed to the door and said  "she should be outside" 

Axton walked out of the bar and looked around until she saw Maya siting near the giant tower in the center of sanctuary. he walked over to her and sat down next to her, he could see something was wrong. 

"H.. hey, Maya, are you alright?" Maya looked at axton and tried to smile "yeah, just thinking about stuff. Axton took a gulp and said "well, i was wondering, if you'd like to uh, walk around or go tot he shooting range sometime?" Maya chuckled "Is that your idea of a date Axton?" Axton blushed a bit and huffed "well, im not exactly the romantic type." she lauged "Hey!1 ther eyou go, you are smiling again, cheer up, we are supposed to be celebrating!!" he put his arm around her. Maya didnt notice due to her lauging. Axton got closer to her, he looked at her, and maya turned her face to him. it was really tense, maya started getting that feeling of tightning in her chest. they looked into each others eyes, maya's slowly closing, she could feel his breath on her lips. 

then she as she had her eyes closed she rememered zero. she remembered him telling her that if she waited, he would show her everything. she wanted to stop, but her body wouldnt. she moved forward until she felt Axton on her lips. she had a feeling of bliss, but in her heart, a feeling of betrayal. her blissfull kiss illuminated by the shining blue light of the moon. 

that is...

until she realized that theres no such blue moon on pandora...

she split from axton's lips and slowly turned her head up to the tip of the sanctuary piller. her eyes opened wide as she saw him. 

Zero.

on top of the piller, looking at them. the glow coming from his sword.  his visor staring at them. he did not move, almost appearing to be part of the statue himself. until he turned his head. and again...

he dematerialized again. Maya stayed looking up. in shock. then she remembered "one act of trust, that you are willing to wait" she rememebred Zero's words. and they struck her core. Axton looke dup and said "hey Maya what are you looking at? the moon? its pretty isnt it?" and maya responed as a tear rolled down her cheek "yeah.. its beautiful. im sorry, i have to got" then Maya stood up frantickly and ran for Zero's underground room.  she lifted the door from the ground and climed down the stairs silently. 

she peeked at Zero standing at the bench with his sword on it. he looked at it.  his benchg was full of scarp parts and misc gun parts. then in a fit of rage Zero screamt "DAMN IT!!" and sweapt everything off the bench and slung it to the ground and went on to puck up the bench and flipped it breaking it in half. Maya gasped but covered her mouth. he still didnt hear. 

" one act of trust. thats all i asked!" shouted Zero to himself. "just one. i wanted to trust her, but she couldnt even wait one day." he was panting and walking in circles. he went over to the bed and flipped the small mattress off. a small recorder layed there, he pressed the button that ativates it and a mysterious voice went off "Oh Zero, if you are listening to this recording i assume you have broken your ties with that precious group of vaulthunters of yours. i assume you havent told any of them of what you really are, just keep hiding your identity Zero, no one will ever trust you, just accept that. when you are ready for your challange, meet me atop the bunker hill in thousand cuts. you are the key Zero, if only handsome Jack knew, ahahaha,  and... uh. you better come alone. wouldnt want any of your little friends getting hurt now.. would we."