Little Red Riding The Wolf {Completed}

The wolf was unfairly close, his giant paws slamming onto the forest floor as he chased after her. Red gasped for air, ignoring the scratch of branches at her arms and face; ignoring the crunch and snap of dry leaves and sticks beneath her feet. She was going to win this time, just like she did in the last race. He wouldn't eat her up, never. She swung her arms forward, her legs never ceasing it's pace. Her breath came in short, ragged puffs of air. Every movement was painful; her muscles burning, her throat dry, her heart pounding mercilessly, distracting her constantly.

The beast, though large and terrifying, was exhausted from keeping up with the sixteen aged girl. His thick coat made running easy, but he never learned to pace his breathing, thus, being the first to become exhausted and out of breath. But continue they did, a girl racing through the forest alongside a shadow, a blur of black and grey slipping into shadows and back into the light.

"You'll never win, Little Red. " The wolf snarled victoriously, saliva dripping onto his fur, sharp teeth snapping together as he spoke.

Red merely laughed quietly, raising her head, as she took slower, more calmed slabs of breath. Her lips peeled back in a thin, malicious smile. She pushed off with her left leg a little harder, but the wolf bent his legs and pounced forward whence he saw her attempt. He was smug, with a dangerously playful glint in his animal like eyes. Red narrowed her eyes on him, her promise to beat him this time, clear and loud.

With the snarl of an animal, the wolf dipped his head lower, and swooped back up to add momentum to his pounce. His paws slammed onto the ground, and he glanced over his shoulder. Red was half a metre behind him. The animal gave a howl of victory upon seeing the beginnings of a river where they'd leap across. Red wasn't phased in the least. Without hesitation, the young woman morphed her running into a half a beat sprint. She was two times faster than before. Their paces were identical.

The sound of rushing water and babbling brooks swept into their ears, as the duo neared. They glanced at one another. Dark brown eyes reflecting the same intent as almost black ones. All playfulness gone, Red latched onto the wolf's fur and threw herself onto his strong back. They leapt across the river.

They were no longer the same beings, but rather, a different shade of people and animals.