Chapter 2

Hope you guys like this!!! Sorry its been a long wait. Been revising :(

Cato's P.O.V

As we entered the town square, it was packed; full of children standing in their areas, waiting. 

"Good luck" I whispered in her ear and made my way over to where I was meant to stand. Clove was standing about 100 yards to my left, surrounded by girls of her age, all wearing their best dresses; lots of blues, reds, greens, yellows; every colour imaginable was there.

I looked to my right.

I saw the past hunger games victors standing there, waiting to see who would be chosen. Me and Clove have both been trained, as nearly all the district 2 children have been. But I have no intention of entering the games.

The Mayor entered the stage.

For the past two years district 2 has had the victor so he is feeling very hopeful for a third year running. We have a much better chance of winning than districts 10,11,12 as they hardly even have enough food for themselves.

His voice filled the square as he said proudly "Panen, a country that rose out of the ashes of old North America, which no one thought was possible. There were droughts, storms, fires, the sea and dreadful war that killed so many of our people. But, but Capitol saved us from this cruelty and brought us peace and prosperity. Then came the dark days. the uprising. 12 were defeated, the 13th destroyed. The treaty of treason gave us new laws to guarentee peace, and our yearly reminder of these dark days are the Hunger games."

Nothing changed then I thought and I tried to listen attentively as the rules of the games were read out. It's simple kill or be killed.

"It is both a time for repentence and a time for thanks" intones the mayor.

He then goes into the long speech of all the victors of district 2. And wow, it's a very long list. Loads of them are still alive. The two who will be mentoring the tributes are Suzy Gwen for the girls, who won it 3 years ago by being brutul and ruthless; and Ona Tygen for the boys, who won it last year with his skilful knife throwing skills and knife action.

He finishes his long speech and Polee Graft bobs up onto the podium and announces in his silly capitol accent "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour!".

"Ladies first" He announces.

He sticks his hand into the ball, wriggles around a bit and grabs a slip.

He then opens up the slip and read out the name in a very clear voice.

"Clove Reddr"

as i didn't know certain names and surnames I just made them up!!!! Sorry